Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

is it possible to fix cracked cymbals

i have a one inch crack on the edge of my 14" top hi hat is there any way to fix it.

Posted on 14 years ago

you can attempt to weld it back together using a filler (some kind of metal)

or you can notch it (cut the crack out)

i had a friend of mine who makes artificial teeth notch out the crack on a 18" Sabian Vault Crash i had. he did it perfectly and the cymbal never cracked again.

but then again..he used the same tools for making peoples teeth..so yea..

its possible!

nashu.bandcamp.com
Posted on 14 years ago

There's no good way to patch a crack, but one common "fix" is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from creeping any further. The other usual method to get rid of edge cracks is to notch the cymbal like the other LL mentioned above.

...and I don't suppose you still need those bass rods & claws, do you? (I just realized I never followed up after getting back into town... Sorry!)

Posted on 14 years ago

I've ground away mine using an air grinder with a 4" dia. X 1/8" thick cut-off wheel attachment. If you run the cut-off wheel into a candle first, the wax helps keep the cymbal metal from gumming up on the cut-off wheel. It works very well. I've done this for a hi-hat. Now lots of air escape and chip. You cannot weld a cymbal even if you had a piece of the same cymbal to weld it with. You could fill it with solder but this is no good. Tried this already.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

As stated above, you can make a repair to stop the crack from getting any worse, but in reality once a cymbal is cracked, there is no way to "repair" it back to the way it was. If you try the drill the crack at each end method, it should stop the crack from spreading. However, the sound may be changed not to your liking permanently now that it has cracked. If it's no longer to your sound liking, you can still get something for it. There seems to be a niche market on ebay for broken and cracked cymbals. People buy them for "effects" cymbals......

Posted on 14 years ago

i disagree about the welding/filling.

my uncle has a 24" pre-serial Paiste Formula 602 and his was welded and it didn't change the sound at all and it has never gotten worse..

plus because of the fact he got it for $220!

x-mas3

nashu.bandcamp.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Check this dude out. He modifies the cymbals by removing a portion that is crack/broken/weak. This removes mass so you will obviously affect the pitch but the other characteristic should be close to the original.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/1845450213.html

Posted on 14 years ago

thanks a lot guys for your input.

i have a set of sabian hi hats. probably not worth much but i wanted to part with them so i could make up what i had spent on my new set. but my old set was cracked. i thought i would fix them before i sold them.

by posting this thread, i have learned a lot. i might not repair these hi hats after all just because it might be to much work for what they are worth. but if i ever get crackes in some of my older cymbals i know what to do to prevent further cracking. i would like to know how his uncle fixed that cracked. i think i am going to experiment with some old junk and crack some stuff and try to fix it and make it look clean and sound the same.

well i guess if any one wants to buy some broken hi hats let me know. lol

Posted on 14 years ago

he bought it that way..we don't who did it/how it was done..

prob just someone who knew how to weld..lucky guess.

nashu.bandcamp.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here