Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

introduction and vintage cymbal

Greetings,

This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum or blog, so please bear with me as I find my blogging voice.

I have been interested and have playing/noodling drums for most of my life. I am now in my mid fifties and have been gigging steady on weekends for about eight years or so. I have several drum sets including a 1980 set of maple shell Hard Rock Pearls (model no.5024, green flash finish), a Yamaha Junior kit (signature Manu Katche in sunset yellow), and a Pearl Reference kit in granite sparkle. I even still have the original bass drum and tenor tom from my first set of Stewart's!

What caught my attention was a link from the drums, drummers and drumming page on facebook. It took me to the Vintage Drums page, which lead me to the Vintage Cymbals page and finally to this forum. There were several photos of Zildjian logo stamps including one showing that the cymbal was made in Turkey. I have had for many, many years, a cymbal with a diameter of 13 inches, the hole for the cymbal stand or holder is seven sixteenths of an inch. The cymbal is quite thin and flexible and has never been cleaned that I'm aware of. There are a few scratches and the stamp is pretty worn but it is indeed an original Turkish Zildjian cymbal.

Does anyone have any information on these cymbals and would there be any value to it?

Posted on 11 years ago

I am no expert but depending on the era and condition it can definitely be valuable. There are several places you can go to check it out but you can also post some pictures, particularly a picture of the stamp and guys on this site will give you great info. I know, because they did the same for me.

Here's a good place to start researching: http://robscott.net/cymbals/

Good luck (don't forget to post pic's)

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1970 Rogers Power Tone Kit
1970's Ludwig Vistalite Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
28 assorted snares (including some real crap)
and 1 really nice K Zildjian Istanbul
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the link. I'll have to get a very good photo. The stamp is very worn and quite difficult to see areas.

Posted on 11 years ago

if you can get a clear 'macro' shot of it, we should be able to ID it

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here