Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Interesting vintage cymbals...

Picked up some vintage interesting Zildjian and Ludwig cymbals today. Just wanted to get some info and feedback on them.

First I got a 50's Zildjian - 15", really heavy at 1300g. Great condition. Rings forever. Dark, with distinct ping. Could this be a high hat cymbal or a really heavy small crash/ride?

Second I got a 50's Zildjian 10" splash really, really paper thin. Great sound, but doesn't resonate for long. It's so thin that it is slightly warped. I definitely will be keeping this one - I just like the way it sounds.

Third I got an old pair of Ludwig high hat cymbals. As cymbals they sound bad, but they are surprisingly good as high hats. A few little bends at the end, but otherwise in great condition. Really dark patina on these. Not sure on the dates for these - 20's, 30's, 40's?

All of them are signed under the bell. None of them were things I was dying for, but for the price I figure I could at least have fun with them.

I got them for a guy whose grandfather was in a big band during the 40's and 50's. These are the only cymbals left. But he has some other percussion "gadgets" that he is going to let me know about - they were mostly sound effects stuff. Some really interesting stuff. But he wants to sort through it all first. It would be great to have the stuff just because of the history of it. I can only dream about them people that he might have played along with on these items.

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

the Ludwig cymbals. Plus I forgot to mention that I got a large wood block too. Nice full sound. No markings on it. Anyone got a wood block holder for sale?

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

That 2nd pic of the Zildjian stamp dates that to about the 1930's......

http://www.hidehitters.com/cymbals/Zildjianstamps/timeline.html#FIRSTSTAMP

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Both Zildjian stamps appear old ones, probably late 30s, the look slightly newer than the "type II" stamps on 2 of the cymbals I've got, both are heavy as well, I've got a 17" which is a great ride cymbal that crashes really nicely and a 14" that I use as a top hihat.. Cool, and old cymbals.. I could be wrong about the dates, not really into looking up a stamp dating webpage, I generally am close enough and if BillH chimes in, that's great!

Posted on 14 years ago

30's....that's pretty cool. Thanks for the info. They do sound good for what they are. I imagine I would use the small splash more than anything else. Any ideas about the hi hats?

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]The hi-hat cymbals are actually known as "sock cymbals"...the precursors to hi-hats, used in the '20's-30's. No market value at all, really...but interesting historical curiosities.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

That's really cool. I only payed $10 for them, so it's no loss there. For the $10, it was worth it to play with them. Why were they called "sock" cymbals?

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Well, there ya' go, you could sell 'em on eFlay for $20, probably.

No idea as to the name...the large domed bells was typical, made 'em really 'crunch'. I guess that's what they called hi-hats back then....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

PLEASE tell me where on GODS green earth do you guys shop? I keep hearing all these drums and cymbals you guys pick up for NOTHING, I don't understand how you do it? teach me O wise one..Bowing

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago

So would telling you that today I picked up a late 50's - early 60's 20" hollow stamp Zildjian ride for really cheap be bragging? The deals are out there - especially with the bad economy.....just keep looking.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here