Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Info Request on K Zildjian Istanbul 20"

As part of a deal for a Gretsch kit that was discussed elsewhere on this forum, I have purchased a K Zildjian cymbal. I haven't seen the cymbal physically, but here is the seller's description.

--19 7/8th"

--2068g

The stamp is not the one I see on most of these just from poking around on ebay and so forth, but a bit earlier. Looks late 50s from all the research I've done. But I am not all too sure. Here are photos of the cymbal:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=78wqhx55.9dr48jm1&x=0&h=1&y=21ywh3&localeid=en_US

NOTE: I had some trouble getting the link to load from this webpage. If you have this trouble, here's what I did: I hit refresh, then got a 404 message, then hit refresh again and it worked.

QUESTIONS: I would be very grateful for views on its age and reasonable value, assuming the info from the seller is correct. I am also wondering why this one doesn't seem to have all the hammer pings that most K Zildjian's I see from this time period seem to have.

Thanks everyone for this assistance.

Posted on 15 years ago

The link worked O.K. for me. I'll send you a private message to tell you about the vintage.

Posted on 15 years ago

hi knavel that cymbal looks like junk and you will probably have an

allergy to it so just send this address....................

no seriously nice cymbal hold on to it and put in closet and pay

for your kids college

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I was able to figure out just by comparing to other cymbals for sale that the cymbal stamp on mine is late 50s in vintage.

What I don't seem to understand is why this one doesn't have that orange peel look from the pings from the hammering of the finish. Instead it looks smooth like the average machine made cymbal.

Or does the lack of orange peel finish simply reflect how the photos at the link above were taken?

Anyone have any thoughts on this question?

Posted on 15 years ago

There's a period of late type 4 old stamp and early Intermediate stamp K's where the hammering isn't as pronounced or deep. Still great cymbals. Looks like yours has been cleaned. Is this the cymbal from that Joyce person?

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From mlvibes

There's a period of late type 4 old stamp and early Intermediate stamp K's where the hammering isn't as pronounced or deep. Still great cymbals. Looks like yours has been cleaned. Is this the cymbal from that Joyce person?

Thanks very much for the info.

Yes it is that person. I have to confess I didn't want anything to do with that cymbal; I wanted only her Gretsch set. I just don't think any cymbal is worth (to me) that price and I like the sound of quality modern ones just fine, but won't buy them because I can't stand the huge ink stamps. So I have to get old ones--but A Zildjian is just fine!

I live overseas and so the high asking price for the set/cymbal was actually helpful in that it gave me the necessary time I needed to do the deal without locals getting in the way! (This certainly isn't the late 70s when my brother got an old Anniversary set that was basically abandoned!)

The package price eventually offered made it so I have relatively little into the cymbal and a sale for even half of the retail price found at a shop like yours would make the price of the drum set go from decent to pretty good deal (they seem to be $1K-$1.2K-- I have no idea how a cleaning affects price).

The question is whether I would sell it now or wait 5 years or so and see how the market goes.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]My suggestion would be, unless you really need some cash now...hold onto it for a while.

Too many stories of folks who got an old K thrown in with a kit they bought...it didn't fit their musical style at the time so they converted it to cash quickly...andonly recently came to the realization that what they had had back then was a very fine and rare cymbal.

You may well find as time marches on that your ears and playing style will come to appreciate what an old K can do.

In the very least, yes, they will always increase in value over time. Besides being a piece of cymbalmaking history, many cymbalphiles feel they were the finest ever made.

[COLOR="Gray"]As Joe Biden would say: "let me say that again: Ever made".[/COLOR]

So, I am saying you may well want to have that cymbal in your possession for many a year to come....even if you have no use for it at present.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"][Y]ou may well want to have that cymbal in your possession for many a year to come....even if you have no use for it at present.[/COLOR]

Hey Jaye, thanks for your thoughts.

I should clarify: I don't need the money at all now. I am in acquisition mode. I have a Supra snare or maybe Rogers in my sights :)

I just think it's too much money to have tied up in a single cymbal--while it was part of the deal, it was definitely priced into it!!! But I will definitely wait till the set shows up in Europe next year (where I live) and pass judgment and make my decision then.

I may think this is the greatest cymbal ever when I hear it. While I am no expert, I definitely can tell good from bad cymbals and tend to like modern Ks quite a lot. I thought I would like Bosphorus and all them more since they are made in Turkey, but compared to Ks no. But I don't like that K-Mart style "K" stamp! I would have to convert them all to "K-Tel" just to amuse myself. :)

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here