Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Info on Vintage Zildjian Trans Stamp cymbals weight etc.

I have a 13"(actually a tad over 13") Old Zildjian paper thin splash cymbal that weighs 14.9 ounces which i think is around 420 grams?. This cymbal is so thin you can get a full crash with the tip of your finger and literally bend it right in half. It is the sweetest sounding splash i have ever heard in my life and i wish i had other sizes as well. It has had a tiny 3/16" edge crack for years and has not spread with constant abuse from me wacking it. It is warped a bit from being so thin but still sounds awesome. I am wondering are most cymbals this size in this era around this same paper thin weight and why cant they make them like this anymore?. I tried a new paper thin splash and it sounded like garbage compared to this and felt like hard metal but lightweight. I put on some photos of the cymbal. I did a little research and seems to me this is a Trans stamp from the 1940's? but i had a hard time identifying the different stamps. This stamp has the Z and CO deeply stamped into the cymbal and you can see the stamp from the underside of the cymbal. I bought this and another same weight and size cymbal as a set of hi hats for $10.00 from a music store like 10 years ago and the other one was permanently bent/folded in half like a hat just like i made the cymbal in the photo look like, so i threw it out in the garbage but later someone told me that other cymbal i tossed was made like that? Sorry for the long post but maybe someone knowledgeable can chime in here.

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

A lot of those old cymbals were originally made warped. Back in those days everything was made by hand. That could play a role in any inconsistancies such as warp factor.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Drumaholic

A lot of those old cymbals were originally made warped. Back in those days everything was made by hand. That could play a role in any inconsistancies such as warp factor.

Thanks for the response. So you are the second person who told me that so it must be true. I only asked this twice and twice the same answer. Its too bad i tossed out that warped cymbal if it was made that way. It was probably 10 years ago and if i remember now it wasnt warped because of someone hitting it.

What about the weight factor i asked about of the one in the photos i have and use right now?

By the way the one i have shown in the photos is really not warped that bad. It was pretty straight when it came with the other one. It is just from me hitting it over the years.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here