Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

In what year did you buy your first Turkish K?

I bought mine,a 20" NOS Ride for $80 (!) from Middletons Music on Plainfield Avenue in Grand Rapids,Michigan in around 1977....still in the factory plastic K bag!

They also had a 22" NOS,but I thought it was too big.........I was only around 20 at the time. That was probably $90 new!

I bought my very first A.Zil there....a used 12" Splash in around 1968-69....I recall paying $12 for it! Wish I still had it.........

They were Gretsch dealers,and in around 1968, they even had a stock Avante Garde double bass kit in the store in Champagne Sparkle ,just like in the catalog.

I remember tapping lightly on the front head of 1 of the BD's with my fingers,and it being pretty resonant sounding to my 12 year old brain....

Try to find a factory kit like that now! Nigh on impossible!

Blair

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

24" New Stamp out of Creative music... Bob Gatzens place in Ct...

It's a killer cymbal that I still have..2950gm..

Posted on 13 years ago

50s 16" marching cymbal. Later I found out it had a small crack. I sold it with considerable profit (of course I mentioned the crack before selling) and have no Ks to this day. But I have some Istanbul Mehmets and am pretty happy with 'em.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 13 years ago

1977...24" New Stamp out of Creative music... Bob Gatzens place in Ct...It's a killer cymbal that I still have..2950gm..

How much was it?

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

1977...24" New Stamp out of Creative music... Bob Gatzens place in Ct...It's a killer cymbal that I still have..2950gm..

Wow, that must be good one if you've kept it all those years.

That's a nice weight on that too. It hard to find them that thin.

Mine's prety close in weight:

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/drumaholic/cymbalexamples/large/P1070139.jpg[/img]

2832 grams

Posted on 13 years ago

what year did you buy your first Turkish K?

I first got mine in '89.

And I let it go in double '00. (pronounced double "OH",dig?)

Posted on 13 years ago

Got my first one.........wait......THREE last fall.They all came on an old APPOLO kit I got for $150.

Posted on 13 years ago

1984, 19" for $15.

We were both dumb 22-year-olds who thought of it as just another cymbal. He hated it as a rock ride and I thought it would make a nice third crash and secondary ride (it did).

He felt bad for cracking one of my cymbals—the sweetest 16" A Zildjian thin crash we'd ever heard—when he borrowed it for basketball pep band during high school. So he didn't charge me much, although $15 was a fair amount of money at that point in our lives, more for him than for me.

Needless to say, I no longer use it as a rock crash. It comes out for blues gigs when I know that no other drummer will be sitting in.

9x Slingerland New Rock 50N 12-13-16-22 with 170 (Super S-O-M) holder
• 1979 Oak
• 1978 Blakrome + 6.5x14 TDR SD
• 1977 Black Diamond Pearl + 5x14 SD (gold badge, Rapid strainer)
• 1976 Black Cordova
• 1975 Silver Sparkle + 5x14 SD (Rapid strainer)
• 1974 Chrome + 5x14 COB TDR and 6.5x14 COW Zoomatic SDs
• 1973 Purple Sparkle
• 1973 Phantom (clear)
• 1971 Walnut (gold badges) + 5x14 TDR SD
1x Rogers Powertone Londoner V 12-13-16-22
• 1972 Butcher Block + 1979 big R Dynasonic SD
Posted on 13 years ago

Probably late 90's..

Bill--I'd love to hear a sound file of that beauty 24"

Posted on 13 years ago

Bill--I'd love to hear a sound file of that beauty 24

I just happen to have right here:

[color=black][font=times new roman][size=+1]24" Intermediate stamp[/size][/font][/color]

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here