Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Im looking at some hats

Went to a guys house today to look at a pair of hhats. He wants 90 for the pair. They are not the same, one is heavier and has that black Zildjian stamp that is big but has the "hollow logo" lettering.

The other is lighter and has no ink stamp at all, just the Zildjian stamp (as does the other one).

The stamps are the same, I think, and they say Advedis Zildjian on them. Tomorrow Im gonna take a stand and some sticks to try them out and see if they sound good.

Am I correct to think they are not a matched pair because of the hollow logo on one and not the other? Is that a big deal? Is 90.00 too much?

The ones Im using now are called Top Rock 14/36 CM and have the solid black Zildjian logo on them. I dont think they sound that good.

Thank you.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

Jeff,

The one you are using now (Top Rock) is from either the 80s or 90s. Rock is a weight and is a bit heavier. They sound completely different from the "New Beats" you always read about. I have a pair of NBs with the hollow logo and that logo (hollow "Zildjian") only appears on the bottom HH. The top is exactly as you describe. As far as I know, this is normal and if those are NBs, they will sound a great deal better than your Rock hats. You guys should have had a stand there already (I fault the seller) - definitely take a stand with you tomorrow.

$90 for a pair of Hollow Logo ('78 to '80 I think) New beats is a great deal. Snag 'em!

BTW, my top weighs 28 ounces (793 grams) and my bottom weighs 46 ounces (1304 grams). This is roughly a 2/3 ratio which is indicative of the Zildjian New Beats.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

Jeff,The one you are using now (Top Rock) is from either the 80s or 90s. Rock is a weight and is a bit heavier. They sound completely different from the "New Beats" you always read about. I have a pair of NBs with the hollow logo and that logo (hollow "Zildjian") only appears on the bottom HH. The top is exactly as you describe. As far as I know, this is normal and if those are NBs, they will sound a great deal better than your Rock hats. You guys should have had a stand there already (I fault the seller) - definitely take a stand with you tomorrow.$90 for a pair of Hollow Logo ('78 to '80 I think) New beats is a great deal. Snag 'em!BTW, my top weighs 28 ounces (793 grams) and my bottom weighs 46 ounces (1304 grams). This is roughly a 2/3 ratio which is indicative of the Zildjian New Beats. John

Thank you John. I thought that new beats have the words,,new beats stamped in black on them. He had a stand but no sticks. I meant to take a pair with but got in a hurry and forgot. He is an 80 year old German guy ( very nice man) but it might take him a long time to find his hh stand, lol!

Thanks for the info!

He also has a Zildjian 18" cymbal that was drilled for rivets but the rivets are gone. That one has no ink stamps and he is asking 80.00 for it. I will see how that one sounds as well.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 11 years ago

If they sound good together, $90 is a good price. Wouldn't matter to me if they were factory matched or not: Lots of players mix and match hats anyway.

9x Slingerland New Rock 50N 12-13-16-22 with 170 (Super S-O-M) holder
• 1979 Oak
• 1978 Blakrome + 6.5x14 TDR SD
• 1977 Black Diamond Pearl + 5x14 SD (gold badge, Rapid strainer)
• 1976 Black Cordova
• 1975 Silver Sparkle + 5x14 SD (Rapid strainer)
• 1974 Chrome + 5x14 COB TDR and 6.5x14 COW Zoomatic SDs
• 1973 Purple Sparkle
• 1973 Phantom (clear)
• 1971 Walnut (gold badges) + 5x14 TDR SD
1x Rogers Powertone Londoner V 12-13-16-22
• 1972 Butcher Block + 1979 big R Dynasonic SD
Posted on 11 years ago

Not all New Beats have the words New and Beat on them. They were introduced in the 60s and there probably are more NB pairs out there that are not marked as such.....than there are that are marked. (that's my guess at least).

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 11 years ago

Typically the lighter cymbal is on top, but I have newer (mid-80's) new beats and I run the heavier cymbal on top.

There's no rules! Get a 14" paper thin crash and run it on top of your top Rock hat on the bottom and see how that sounds (good I'm guessing).

How do you think the oft-hyped "K-Z" high hats came about?

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

Hey JC,

I just picked up a pair of 14" New Beat Hollow Logo hats. Mine have the hollow Zildjian logo on both the inside top and inside bottom. The outsides just say "Top New Beat" and "Bottom New Beat".

I hope that helps.............sometimes Zildjian was inconsisen with their stamping.

If you like 'em, then that's all that matters!

Posted on 11 years ago

Okay, thanks for your help everyone.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 11 years ago

You might want to consider taking your scale. If the weights are the 2/3/ ratio, that will be indicative of the New Beats.......but really don't matter ultimately if you are happy with the sound. Also, be familiar with the actual weights of your Rock HHs for comparison. V's HHs are from the early 80s I believe.

J

Posted on 11 years ago

I dont have a scale and have always wondered what kind of scale works for this and why is it so important to know the weight.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here