Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.86639%

Identification of 22" avedis (¿60's?)

I recently bought an avedis 22" ride i think that's from 60's (I bought it as a 60's ride) but i'm not sure at 100%, it's weight is 2810g. Anybody can help me with the identification and if is possible to know which model is? i leave some pictures link and the soundfile link:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/1f13bf5e-6c9f-4484-90b9-e72ce77979e3/22-Z-2810g-1275/?widget=flash_player_drums

and here are the pics.

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=P1080180.JPG&username=counterhoop&aid=891661685

thank you

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes - '60's - if you can measure the stamp from top to bottom we can tell you if it is early or late '60s... keyhole is very mild and not to worry about - but be sure you use a plastic sleeve on your cymbal stand. Valued at about $200[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

That's mid to late 60's. Sounds good.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks a lot for help me with that question guys,

Jayne, the stamp is about 1.2 inch (3.1 cm) and it's located at 1.6 inch (4.2cm) from the edge of the cymbal.

But the real question is: How can I date the avedis cymbals? Is there any kind of book or web resource that tells the peculiarities of every period's stamp, like the philately or coin collectors books? (maybe I should to create a new thread for that question)

Thanks for your attention.

Posted on 14 years ago

From droca82

Thanks a lot for help me with that question guys, Jayne, the stamp is about 1.2 inch (3.1 cm) and it's located at 1.6 inch (4.2cm) from the edge of the cymbal.But the real question is: How can I date the avedis cymbals? Is there any kind of book or web resource that tells the peculiarities of every period's stamp, like the philately or coin collectors books? (maybe I should to create a new thread for that question) Thanks for your attention.

Maybe I should create a timeline for that question.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, and maybe straighten that stamp height thing out. :D

Posted on 14 years ago

From 76duece

Yeah, and maybe straighten that stamp height thing out. :D

No need for a timeline to do that. I can straighten that out for you right here and now.

Forget about stamp height. The whole secret to identifying cymbals is:

1. primarily the trademrk

2. secondarily the manufacturing characteristics

Trying to identify cymbal eras using trademark height does not uniqely identify anything except the large stamps. And even that only tells you that it falls into one of three of the categories that are uniqely defined by the specific trademark type anyway. And the same goes for bellhole sizes. You'll still see some people trying to rely on that too these days.

At the time I wrote that article I thought trademark height might be helpful, but as it turns out its really not. A lot has been learned in 10 years. You'd be surprised.

Posted on 14 years ago

That seems to sum things up! I guess as you age, the mind grows wiser.

Larry

Posted on 14 years ago

Paul F. also said this:

"I can say that the really old trademarks are gone. They most likely got replaced with newer versions as they got worn down through use."

So apparently these cymbals were stamped witha trademark from a later era than actual era of their manufacture. Since the oldest trademark dies are known to be gone, then it appears that they simply picked the oldest one they had on hand. And apparently that one turned out to be the late 1950's version. That's what it looks like to me.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here