Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

How thin is thin?

Lads, I'm thinking about buying some old Zildjian 15" hi hats cymbals and am wondering about the weights (780g, 818g). That'd be light for 12". I'm not a slammer but wonder how easy it would be to damage these babies.

Posted on 12 years ago

I have 14 inch Ludwig Standard Paiste cymbals at 760 & 770 grams. I'm not a real heavy player, but I haven't had any deformation issues.

My kit:
Ludwig Vistalite Big Beat set consisting of:
14” X 22” bass, 16” X 16” floor tom, 8” X 12” ride tom, 9” X 13” ride tom, 5” X 14” snare
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Posted on 12 years ago

If you play hard I'd stay away from those hats.

If you play with "normal" force you'd be fine.

They're going to have a nice sizzle and a warm darker sound.

Posted on 12 years ago

That's my thinking, Shawn. I'm a blues/small room (hell, living room) player and keep it generally light. But I recall my first hi hat pies decades ago that I finally inverted from too much foot pressure. (They were 12" UPIFs.) Maybe that's what scares me now. The Zildjians are no small investment.

Posted on 12 years ago

If you can blow on it and make the edge wobble, it just might be thin enough, but not necessarily...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 12 years ago

From stinny

Lads, I'm thinking about buying some old Zildjian 15" hi hats cymbals and am wondering about the weights (780g, 818g). That'd be light for 12". I'm not a slammer but wonder how easy it would be to damage these babies.

780gm. and 818gm. , light for 12"??? those are like wood cookstove lids in a logging camp!

Posted on 12 years ago

HA! Calfskin and touche. But most of the old jazz 15's I've come across are 950-plus to 1100. I've heard a recording of these babies and they appear to be in top shape. I'm just trying to get a grasp on where these fitting on the thin spectrum.

Posted on 12 years ago

From calfskin

780gm. and 818gm. , light for 12"??? those are like wood cookstove lids in a logging camp!

Agree. I have two pairs of 14" '50s A hats that are around those weights. Hell, my son has a 19" Bosphorus Masters Crash/Ride that only weighs 1360g, and an 18" Bos Traditional crash that weighs about 1180g! The heaviest hats I have are the 14" Bos Hammer hats. The top cymbal s around 880g and the bottom is just around 1200. From my point of view 12" hats with those weights are not particularly thin.

Just a reminder that vintage hats were not sold in pre matched pairs. You selected two cymbals and put the heavier of the two on the bottom. The difference in the weights were maybe 30 to 50 grams, give or take.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 12 years ago

From stinny

I don't think those would be light for 12"s. I have one pair of 12"s that are 388/468. They're very thin. Unique sound, but I like it. Then I have another pair of 12"s that are much heavier. I haven't weighed those, but they have a fuller, richer sound. I agree that the 15"s you're considering are definitely on the light side. Doesn't sound like you play in a style that would damage them though.

Good luck.

Stephen

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here