Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

how rare? Zildjian 1st stamp: TRIPLE STAMPED?

Hi guys,

How rare would a triple stamped Zildjian (1st stamp, 1920-30's) be?

thanks

Posted on 10 years ago

sounds like the cym/smith was a lil drunk that day...lol!Laughing H

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 10 years ago

Pics would be interesting.

I don't even know whether you are talking about multiple stampings in the same place (letters which look like double or triple letters) or complete stamps but in different regions of the cymbal. Both of these faults are documented.

It may be that mis-stamped cymbals are more frequent as you go further back in time, but I don't know this based on evidence.

I don't know if your question is implicitly about value, or if you are genuinely after an assessment of rarity (as in 1 per 5,000 cymbals).

There are enough cymbals with both of the types of faults I described to make them interesting but not necessarily worth more because of it. So: rare, but not more valuable, unless somebody fronts up with evidence that they are more valuable.

My take on the value question is based on double stamped Paiste 602s and Sound Creations (see my signature) and my not apply to Avedis Zildjian cymbals. I don't know who has collected appropriate data to pin down the effect on expected price for Avedis Zildjians. Drumaholic might have some info, but unless he tells us, I don't know of anybody else who might have it.

Posted on 10 years ago

Triple stamped??

As in triple stamped with no erase-ees?!?!

Posted on 10 years ago

What does erase-ees mean? I can post a pic. it is at least triple stamped possibly four strikes.

Posted on 10 years ago

here it is. I clearly see three strikes, and I may see a fourth at the very bottom, I can check that with magnification

If anyone needs a larger size file let me know

1 attachments
99.5 kB
Posted on 10 years ago

That's great. Plenty big to see that they took several goes at it.

Posted on 10 years ago

That`s the prototype for the California series which got cancelled in favor of the Crosseyed series that we see struck twice all the time.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 10 years ago

Rare? If it's 18" or bigger it is rare because of diameter. The multiple attempts at stamping the cymbal isn't rare, but it's unusual. It doesn't add to the value for me. I don't know of anyone who jumped on a cymbal because of it. If it had three separate, distinct stamps, even then it would only add to the novelty of it.

Posted on 10 years ago

About half the trademarks from that period have aborted mis-stamps in them. I thought what you meant was a REAL triple stamp. Know what I mean?

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here