Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

How can I identify a crash/ride?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a vintage 60s Zildjian 18" crash/ride, and eBay seems to be the best option (or one of them) for finding vintage cymbals. Either this cymbal is extremely rare, or the people putting the cymbals up for sale don't know how to properly identify it. I'm seeing a ton of 18" crash cymbals and some rides, but no crash/rides. Is it possible that some of these so-called "crash" cymbals are crash/rides? The only identifying marks are the stamp, but they don't have the cymbal type on the stamp. How do you know what type of cymbal it is? Please excuse my ignorance - I'm fairly new to drumming and this is my first venture into buying cymbals, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Green"]Wasn't it Tony Williams who once, upon being asked if his (whatever) cymbal was a crash or a ride, replied :

"a cymbal...is a cymbal"

???

I think so.

Not being a wiseass, here. You want an 18" Avedis which works as well as a crash as it does a ride. The 80's ones certainly still have their labels. But most pre-mid 70's ones were stamped neither; or if they were, those logos are long gone.

So...OK, you have the cymbal, the stamp to ID its era.

You have to ask about the weight, next.

A thin 18" will be around...1200g. This would be a thin crash. You couldn't ride it, it'd be hella washy and lose the stick tic fast.

A heavy 18" would be 1800g. This is a heavy cymbal....it'd make a lousy ride, probably, except for a headbanger....it'd be clangy and pingy. It likely wouldn't make much of a good crash either, but maybe as a rock crash it'd be OK. Only Turkish handmades can pull off a heavy 18" and make it sound good, IMHO.

So...if I were to take an educated gamble on a 70's or earlier Avedis 'crash-ride' cymbal of 18"...I'd look for something about 1450-1650g in weight. Then ask the seller if it works better as a crash or a ride.

You want a ride which crashes, basically. This is a generalization, BUT....as a rule, in order for a ride to ride, it needs to have some weight to it....but in order for a ride to crash, it can' be too heavy or have too little taper from shoulder to edge.

I have had heavy rides which don't sound heavy and which have decent crashes because most of their weight is in the bell and bow, and very little toward the edge. But these are the exception rather than the rule. You sorta luck out when you land something like that.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Gray"]This reminds me of a story...I once landed an 18" Ajaha (UFIP stencil) cymbal which made me really happy...because I had a pair of 'hats, and needed (um, wanted) an 18.

I figured I could use it as a ride. I tried every stick on it imaginable, and it just sounded so damn dead. Nuthin'. Not responsive. Just muddy. I decided it was a dog and put it in my closet.

I would take it out now and again, wanting to like it....to no avail. Then one day.... I just whacked it ...hard.

It was an awesome crash. Fantastic...big and full with a nice quick decay. So it came back out and I used it solely as a large crash ![/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

Thats a funny story........

I had the opposite......

I once had a 18" Turk K,so I am thinking it should be a crash.........I kept hitting it hard,and it sounded bad.........

Finally,I played it light,and it was a great sounding Ride!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

According to Mel Lewis, every cymbal should be a crash-ride.

But in the final analysis, only your ear and your own judgment can be the final arbiter in such matters. Most of these sellers don't have a clue anyway, so don't go by what they say.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thank, guys. I think I get it now - go on weight and sound. For some reason I thought every cymbal was specifically made to be a ride, crash, etc., and was somehow labeled that way. Appreciate the education.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here