Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Homemade cymbal bag for cheap!

I am a gigging drummer, playing about 8-10 dates a month, all one-night-stands. It is my only source of incomes since being laid off, so there isn’t much extra money for things.

I have a fiber trap case that has a slot for cymbals, but I was not happy that they were stored on their edges and were unprotected. I decided to make my own cymbal bags, since I figured I could do it CHEAP!

My idea was to take beach towels (usually big sizes and thick pile) and sew them up.

For my 20” ride and 18” crash, I made one bag with two pockets.

To do this, you’ll need a beach towel that is at least one inch wider than the width of the biggest cymbal, and 4-6” longer than THREE TIMES the width.

Fold the towel length-wise into a “Z” shape with three equal panels. This will form two pockets with a top, bottom and middle layer of towel. Pin three edges (bottom with no folds and two sides each with one fold) and test fit your larger cymbal. If it will slide in easily, sew those same three edges. If not make adjustments until it fits.

When finished, slide the larger cymbal into one pocket and the smaller into the other. They should “nest” nicely with one thickness of towel in between. Fold over any excess at the top opening to form a cushion for the edges to rest on.

I also made a smaller one for my 14” hi-hats, and both bags work great! It is possible that with smaller cymbals, you could do more than two per bag. You are only limited by the size of towels/fabric you can get, and the thickness you can sew through.

Not only are my cymbals protected by soft terry cloth all the way around, the towel keeps them clean and provides a soft surface for the edges to rest on.

Now is a good time because beach towels are on sale many places.

My kit:
Ludwig Vistalite Big Beat set consisting of:
14” X 22” bass, 16” X 16” floor tom, 8” X 12” ride tom, 9” X 13” ride tom, 5” X 14” snare
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Posted on 12 years ago

Now you have to post some photos of that ;)

Always hated those fibre trap cases, but hey, they had wheels!

Posted on 12 years ago

pics pics pics!

My previous slingerland score came with a fibe' case and had 9 cymbals jammed into the slot...including a new stamp K!

I dont gig a lot, but would like something like this to keep my cymbals safe when I do take them out of the cave.

Posted on 12 years ago

I can’t post any actual pictures of the bag right now, but will try to do so later.

Meanwhile, here is a diagram with instructions. The top view is the towel laid out flat. The second view is folding the towel, looking from the side. The third view is from the top again.

Layout your beach towel and mentally divide it into three equal sections. Each section needs to be big enough to accommodate your LARGEST cymbal, plus about one inch on all sides for sewing.

Fold the towel in a “Z” shape so that panel three is on the bottom, two in the middle, and one on top. You should now have three thicknesses of towel.

Pin the edges along three sides (shown in red) then slide your LARGEST cymbal between the top and middle panel, then try between the middle and bottom panel, making sure the cymbal fits okay.

If it fits, sew along the red lines on three sides, leaving one side unsewn to have access to the pockets. When finished, you should be able to slide a cymbal into each pocket you created.

The size of your cymbals will determine the size of the towel required.

1 attachments
13.5 kB
My kit:
Ludwig Vistalite Big Beat set consisting of:
14” X 22” bass, 16” X 16” floor tom, 8” X 12” ride tom, 9” X 13” ride tom, 5” X 14” snare
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Posted on 12 years ago

That's an awesome idea. I'll be doing that in the future

Posted on 12 years ago

Great idea. Long ago I used to put my cymbals in T shirts before they hit the cymbal slot in the trap case. A folded hand towel in the bottom gave some cushion protection and T's helped a bit. Wish I had thought to use a beach towel for cymbals. I did wrap my snare in a towel before it went in the case.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Great idea, Tinman!

I have found that a bicycle tire cut in half (two "C" shapes) provides excellent protection for cymbals at the bottom of a trap case, or at the bottom of a cymbal bag. Plus, 1 tire is enough for two cases!

When used in a bag, the tire also helps prevent the weight of the cymbals from "cutting" through the bottom of the bag. Have the hollow end of the tire facing up, and put the cymbals inside it.

For even more protection, you can stuff the inside (hollow part) of the tire with foam or an old towel or t-shirt. I use an old fibre trap case occassionally (re-inforced plywood bottom), and I use a 3/8" carriage screw through the hole of each cymbal, so that all the bells/holes are lined up (using a wing nut to keep them all together). I usually get a screw slightly shorter than the width of the cymbal slot. Then I wrap the bundled cymbals in a beach towel, just for scratch protection (from the sides of the case). By the way, by getting all the bells to line up, you really save some space in there (good if you have lots of cymbals!). This works in bags too. Just slide the bottom edge (of your largest) bundled cymbals into the tire, and you're good to go. Obviously, the tire trick works if you don't bundle your cymbals also.

The size of the tire doesn't really matter... it will be flexible when cut. You only need it to cover the very bottom part of the cymbals anyway, but I still leave enough extra for some side protection too. I usually go with a 20" or 22" tire.

Posted on 12 years ago

My Dad had a car repair shop (Foreign cars) for many years so what I did was steal a pile of the (new) clean shop rags and pop a hole in the center of them. I would lay my cymbals down by size largest to smallest with a shop rag between them and then run a bolt through the center holes and snug it together.

Nothing moved and nothing was damaged. Only the largest cymbal was in danger of nicking an edge, so I used carpet underlayment foam to line the 'case' (which was my old student snare drum case which I also blew a hole through the top lid so everything was held in place nicely above my snare and some other small bits). I used a 3/8 diameter shoulder (partially threaded) bolt so the size was very close to the cymbal and there were no threads to 'saw' at the center hole. Big washers and felt of course.

Then I sort of stopped playing as my paying job was sending me all over the world with little notice. I am looking into one of those Zildjian backpack bags now...

guitar2 <= is that Geddy Lee???

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi- new subscriber here looking about and this post reminded me that when I was a kid and started gigging I needed a stick bag- something to keep the sticks in reach as then I was wilder and dropped a lot!!! I got one of the 'new' Pringles cans (how old am I...) and looped a string though the top and glued vinyl on the side to match my black diamond Slingerlands...perfect on the second floor tom!!!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here