Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Hi there, Craig Lauritsen here ...

Nice to be on this forum as a newbie.

For those who don't know me, I'm a cymbalsmith from Australia.

I've made and modified cymbals for some great drummers like Greg Hutchinson, Jochen Rueckert, Luke Flowers, Hamish Stuart, Michael Iveson, Riki Gooch, Christoph Hillman, Junji Hirose and Mari Yama(s)hita.

Lee Ruff is my rep in the States.

My website, if you're interested in having a look is - www.cymbalutopia.com

I look forward to being a part of this forum and to interacting with you guys.

All the best,

Craig

Posted on 11 years ago

Welcome to VDF. Looking forward to learning more about your line of cymbals.

Posted on 11 years ago

Welcome do you play? if so do have a vintage kit pics please

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 11 years ago

Nice to meet you Craig. Your knowledge and experience of a cymbal smith will be a great asset to the forum. Cymbals are amazing pieces of work. I have always been intrigued by them, how they are made and what they are made of. I really need to put some time into learning more about them. I have very little knowledge of how to identify vintage A or K Zildjians, heck all I really know is to look for ones without Ink stamps on them.

So, welcome, you will find a whole mess of nice folks here who really go out of their way to help one another. Wish I could come to Australia and watch you work!

See you around!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

Craig,

Greetings and welcome to the forum. My little drum cleaning skills are an embarrassment compared to what you apparently do. Great to have you here!!

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

Welcome Craig. You'll find a few familiar faces here.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks Stallwart, jaghog, jccabinets, tnsquint and zenstat.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

I've got a section on my site devoted to info about hammering and lathing. You can see that here - http://www.cymbalutopia.com/www.cymbalutopia.com/Cymbal_Workshop.html

My drumkits aren't vintage, but I've got some beautiful artisan made drums.

I love things that are made by hand by people with passion.

I'll try and get some pics up soon.

Posted on 11 years ago

After my posting, I checked out your website. You have a very detailed site with tons of info. I watched the video of you turning the cymbal, very cool! Its a great site, you have done a wonderful job of putting it together.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate the kind words.

Posted on 11 years ago

I got a question that I never had answered. I think it`s like no-one wants to say, but maybe a trade secret but I doubt it,..I don`t know why I can`t get it answered.

Most cymbals crack around the bell,..I understand why, but...How do you know when you`ve hammered too thin or took off too much in that area with the lathe ? (so you don`t send it out the door knowing it`ll crack soon)

I don`t know,..maybe that`s a non issue durring fabrication !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here