Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Hi-Hat pairing Exremely Light / Extremely Heavy

Hi all, I've been buying some vintage orphan cymbals here and there trying to make Hi Hats from all kinds of different cymbals. I prefer the sound of light cymbals, but I like the "chick" sound you get from a heavy bottom, but what I've learned on my Hi-Hat mix and match adventures is that it can be a challenge to find the right weight ratio between top and bottom Hi Hats. It all started when I found an oddball sized, no name cymbal that was somewhere between 14 and 15 inches. (probably some sort of UFiP) The cymbal was so paper thin that all you had to do was look at it and it made a sound. It really wanted to be a crash cymbal and it probably was a crash cymbal, but as I like light hi hats I decided I was going to find a bottom Hi Hat to pair this cymbal with. I eventually found another cymbal that was more or less the exact same oddball sized diameter. It was another no name cymbal, but this one looked similar to the early K Zildjian & CIE Constantinople cymbals. It was old and extremely heavy. I paired these two cymbals together with the heavier one as the bottom Hat and I was disappointed. The extremely light cymbal sounds great as a crash, but as a Hi Hat it was too weak when played closed and sounded too out off control when played open. Any other suggestions for a Top Hi Hat that would work with a 14+1/2" Extremely Heavy Bottom? And Any suggestion for Bottom Hi Hat for a 475 gram Extremely Light 14+1/2 Hi Hat Top? Or should I just call that a crash cymbal?

I'm having the same problem with a 12" Hi Hat pairing with XE Ajaha paper thin over 100 year old sewer cap cymbal. I just can't seem to find the right weight ratios between top and bottom or is it that I am trying to make Hi Hats using Crashes and Splashes? When does a Hi Hat Top become a crash anyway? Is there a difference?

Any advice welcome.

Posted on 9 years ago

Hats are closer to ride cymbals than crashes which is why hat pairings made using crash cymbals tend to be more mushy/washy without that clear sticking definition that you expect from 'normal' hats. It's all horses for courses and depends what you're going for. I play a pair of 16" hats (made by South Australian cymbalsmith Craig Lauritsen) and they're a very different beast to the pair of 16" crashes (medium over heavy weights). The crashes blended in more and were darker with less definition while the 16" hats are probably the mid-point between 14" hats and the 16" crash-hats.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here