Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Hi-hat cymbal with rivets

Hi,

I'm the proud new owner of a vintage Ludwig & Ludwig trap kit. It came with a high boy hi-hat, and two 10" cymbals for the hat. One has rivets. Should it go on top or bottom? My trusted vintage drum expert had never heard of this and didn't know.

Anyone with expertise in this area?

Thanks very much.

Steve

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 12 years ago

(Load some photos). Are they deep cup cymbals? Is it the Ludwig & Ludwig "Sizzle" cymbal ? This could be a custom order, or home made job. I'd like to see where the rivets are located. Many hi hat sets , in those days, were just 2 similar cymbals put together & not necessarily a pair like we have today of one light top & one heavy bottom.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks very much for the response. They are both HH cymbals are deep cup. I'm new to vintage drums, so I'm not sure what a L & L Sizzle cymbal should look like.

Anyway, here they are; it's the one on the right; one rivet is missing:

[IMG]http://www.stephenpaulharper.com/Both.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.stephenpaulharper.com/Rivets.JPG[/IMG]

Thanks again.

Steve

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 12 years ago

Usually the heaviest cymbal would be used for the Bottom Hi Hat, but in your case I would guess the riveted cymbal would be on the top. (I assume the rivets are clearing the other cymbal ? ) BTW here is a pic of the Ludwig & Ludwig "Sizzler"

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

That cymbal looks so cool. What's its size? Are they very rare, 'cos I want one!

Yes, the rivets clear the bottom cymbal, but they both weigh the same. As you say, it may be a homemade job. It's a 1924 kit with a high boy hi-hat, and I didn't think they made them that early.

Thanks so much for the help.

Steve

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 12 years ago

I saw a Ludwig & Ludwig "Sizzler" go on feeBay for less than $40 about a month ago. Saw one on some vintage dealer site for over $100.

Do a Google search, I'm sure you'll find something.

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 12 years ago

Sabian had hi hat cymbals that had rivets on the bottom cymbal,I think they were called sizzle hats.Liberty DeVito used them for a while.

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago

I think I remember those cymbals, but mine were made WAY before 1981. I want the kit to be played as it was played then, although matched grip pretty much kills that for me. Can't deal with a tilted snare.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 12 years ago

If you looked at the edges of each deep cup cymbal, & the play wear pattern, you should be able to tell which way the original player positioned them. (or try them each way & see what works out the best for you). I have lots of these deep cup sets, & many are of the same weight, so I just go by the best sound.

Posted on 12 years ago

The cymbals are so tarnished, and I think it's been so long since they've actually been played, it's hard to discern any wear patterns. I keep time and patterns with my left foot a lot, and I think if the rivets are on top, it will make a sort of flam sound. Not sure if I want that or not. The hi-hat is missing a piece, so I can't actually play them yet. It's on its way though.

Thanks for the continued input.

Steve

Vintage Drum Student
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here