Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Hey members!!!

With over 700 members,why is there so little action on this forum?.I think its a great set up and i,ve spoken to some very decent folks.....so why the low turn out??

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 18 years ago

[COLOR=black]Hey Wayne![/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]This is David the Webmaster. It is a long story about the progression of the web site and this forum and the vintage business and where I stand in relationship to it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Needless to say this forum was about a year old in Aug and the membership is growing at a rate well beyond many forums with the same theme. (3 to 5 new members per day on average) The main web site drives the new membership.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]The thing I like about it is not a "hang out" forum and it is really just a question and answer forum. I have noticed that the majority of members do post when the question they know how to answer is posted.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]You will not see much debate going on here and off topics turning into digressions that tend to tarnish the image of forums.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]I have never had to sensor any members or delete spams or trolls or have to deal with anything other then answering questions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]The other night I was on the forum, if you look in the lower left you should see the number of visitors and the number of members online. (Not sure if members see it) and we had 4 members and 32 guests.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]What that shows is that there are plenty of people using the forum for research and seeing what is said about vintage drums etc..[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Whether our answers are correct or not in some peoples minds, we always stick to the task on hand. You have already met TommyP who knows Rogers really well and especially Buddy Rich. If someone posts on that topic then he would probably answer the question.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]In regards to Slingerland DrCJW has that covered and he is the leading expert on the topic and we have become good friends through our exchange of information.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]In regards to Gretsch, Rich K. and Jazzbo usually can help with that.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]With the Japanese drums ArchxAngle, myself and others cover that really well.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]With Ludwig, O-Lugs answers those questions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]There are plenty of others that help in other areas and I'm amazed at what some people know. I was reading a post about mics the other day and backbeatmusic had some excellent advice on that topic.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]So in the end this forum has stayed on its original intention of being a question and answer place and you will not normally see what goes on in other forums with well bunkered in members that tend to rule the roost and put people in there places.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]I visit all of those other forums and I'm also members in some of them and they all have their own style and type of forum methodology. Not that I do not enjoy the relationship aspect of meeting new people and the info shared through name calling, I have always felt there are enough places to do that and I do not want to compete on that level with similar forums.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]I have to say, it is hard not to laugh at what is said and our human nature is to read that stuff and see where it is going to turn, or how far it is going to sink.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Much bad blood has been spread on forums and many people in the vintage drum community have felt the wrath of forums and their members.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]There is always two sides to every story and unfortunately with forums you usually only hear the one side and it is coming from the person that wants to state their position, usually bad, but in some cases people do state the good.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]This is a hobby for me and a side fun business building web sites, trading drums and parts and selling stuff on Ebay. I have another brick and mortar business and a family that keeps my busy and is taking up most of my time. Fortunately I can be online all day if I want and since I’m the boss, no one is looking over my shoulder. Then again I have to pay all of the bills and my employees!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Thanks for the question.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]David[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Webmaster [/COLOR]

Posted on 18 years ago

Wow!!!...Thats what i call a response!...Im in favor of your focus and direction and although i have been at the center of an ongoing battle with one of the most obnoxious,self centered,blow-hards i,ve ever come across,you can be sure i,ll never disgrace this place.Im 56 yrs old and still playing,sometimes,but i so enjoy the company of civilized people who are content to discuss our mutual interests here.Its a shame these other types are out there,but as i,ve stated,they do provide comic relief...thx again...Oh,and what i can bring here is great deals on solid one pc.steambent snare shells..just let me know. WHCool

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 18 years ago

Well, I have to say I know the story and probably read 100's of posts on other forums about it.

56 is still young!!

I have a few old timers that hang out at my store. Recently one of them handed over his parts collection.

The old saying "Parts is Parts" does make sense in some ways, but you figure the guy will be turning 80 and he probably has had some of this for 30 or 40 years in little jars and containers.

It had a symbolic meaning to me because he probably realized life is coming to an end and he wanted someone to have it that would appreciate it..

We all hold on to this stuff only to give it away, have it stolen, donated to Good Will, lost or whatever and in the end it is the friends we have and the people we have around us that really matters.

What the heck was that story about???

Group Hug

So now I know who will answer the questions about steam bent shells!!

Thanks again

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here