Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Help with New MIJ, Resto Projects

Hey Guys;

You were right; a little patience and the deals will come. I currently have three, (count 'em three) restorations on the go, with another pending, (see if the deal goes through).

Just picked up my Novus polish today at a Harley Davidson shop, (not as easy to track this stuff down in Canada it seems) and have given up after I used the one small tube of Flitz I had kicking around for a few years, but am finding that some stuff called, 'Blue Magic' seems to work very well, as it did work 'magic' taking some stubborn water spots off my chrome rims last year. Have found all the advice from you guys on this forum to be invaluable and inspiring, and am really looking forward to getting into these projects. Have some questions for ya...

Kit #1 - 1960, Ludwig, transition badge, sky blue pearl kit. I'm gonna save that one for now, and get back to it another time.

Kit #2 - 60s Coronet, 22, 13, 16. Just picked this one up for a nice price with some accessories. First issue - missing wood hoop with inlay.... Not sure what you'd call this wrap, sort of copper color, seems to be in nice shape, (any suggestions?). Firstly; anybody happen to have the hoop, (with inlay) that I need? Just thought I'd through that out there. After market metal snare came with it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find the match, I'm on a tight budget. I figure a couple of missing tom hoops shouldn't be hard to come up with, my only real concern is the bass drum hoop - looking forward to the restoration on this.

Kit #3 - This one I got cheap, with a bunch of after market/new accessories that have already paid for the kit, (included with another sale). Not a spectacular kit by any means - black, 5 piece - after market metal snare, and unmatched floor tom. 20" kick drum, (6x6 lugs) with center consolette for two matching toms. Appears all original with all hardware, and two black, hard plastic hoops for kick drum. Floor tom was obviously an ad-on, originally white, or beige, spray painted black, leaving wrap rippled, and heavily scratched. Will unwrap, and assess later, but have a 'Univox' floor tom with very similar lugs that I plan to re-wrap and try to match with kit. Not expecting much from this one, but it might make a nice starter, or practice kit. No labels, but I'm including pics of lugs to see if you guys have any idea of the make. OH - and apart from the Solar cymbals that came with it, it also had one older cymbal. Not great by any means, but I found the logo which says; Dixie, with Switzerland underneath, and a crescent moon, and star in between - any insight out there? Looks old and kind of cool, may include with Coronets once I get them up to speed.

Well, I figure that should be more than enough for now. Sorry to be so long winded, but I value the opinions, and advice of the forum members here, and have greatly enjoyed being a member myself. Hoping for some insight and suggestions from you... and maybe a lead on my missing hoop, or the inlay. Thanks.

5 attachments
LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 13 years ago

Couple more lug shots - hard to make out with reflections, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 attachments

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 13 years ago

I'm going to say the black drums are Hoshino.Look at the lug insert.If it's a piece totally on the inside which slides in from the back,it's Hoshino.The brownish set's color is root beer pearl.

Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, I believe you're right on the "Hoshino" - flat bar, with hole? Did they go by any other brand names, do you know? Root beer pearl sounds cool. At least I'll know what to ask for. Thanks!

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 13 years ago

Yep, right on the money, Teverson. Hoshino is the name of the manufacturer, and they put many different names on the drums.

The Root Beer wrapped set was made by Pearl, probably sometime around 1968-73, but possibly a little earlier, judging by the wooden hoops and the badge. Closer pics might help get a better idea of the year it was made. While you're waiting for a matching bass drum hoop, you could put the batter hoop on the reso side and get another old black wooden hoop for the batter. I think it would make the absence of the matching hoop a little less noticeable.

Have fun with the restoration! Keep us updated with pictures as you go.

Posted on 13 years ago

From DaddyNowhere

Yes, I believe you're right on the "Hoshino" - flat bar, with hole? Did they go by any other brand names, do you know? Root beer pearl sounds cool. At least I'll know what to ask for. Thanks!

Your black set lugs can be found on Crown drums along with about 40 other names..Shells are 9ply with out rings made of cheap wood..Black drums are dated from 1970-75...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Yep looks and sounds just like this little Hoshino I use for the kids in my drum school. It's hard to fit modern heads on them!

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/kirin36-img481x600-12572527604a3xtd.jpg[/IMG]

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago

Always appreciate the help I get on this forum - thanks guys.

@ OsakaBop - Thanks for the pic. That looks like the one alright! Nice little kit - where'd you get the Hoshino, kick drum logo?

@MIKEY777 - appreciate the info.

@cn679 - Will definitely swap hoop to reso side, (once I sand, and repaint) and either get black hoop, or come up with some solution if I can't track down original inlay. Pulled apart kick last night, and polished shell - fantastic shape! Will photo-document process and try to post some pics. This sucker's gonna be fun. May well keep eyes peeled for matching snare as well, though being a stencil kit, I'm trying to stay within a tight budget. Better get back to it - LOTS of polishing to do! Thanks again guys!

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here