Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Help identifying a couple of old cymbals? Pretty please?

I bought an old slingerland kit from the local paper (?100) the other day, and I'm trying to find out what's what.

Two cymbals came with the kit:

A A Paiste Formula 602 18" cymbal weighing about 1600g. It has no serial and no printing, just the stamp.

I don't know if this is supposed to be a ride or a crash?

Ideas on what it is would be great!

B An 20" Avedis Zildjian ride (about 2000g) with no print and no serial.

Any idea how I could find out what this cymbal is? There doesn't seem to be much to go on...

If anybody could help me, I'd be most grateful!

Posted on 16 years ago

Funny thing about that....Back in the "old" days, the use of a cymbal wasn't specified. In essence, they ALL were crash/rides! There weren't a lot of larger diameter cymbals, either. Most were on the small side and used for quick embellishments. Over time, the music changed and so did the instruments. Eventually, cymbal makers started to expand their lines and models to the point it's at today. Along the way, models got named...uses became refined and categorized.

So, the end result is that we now have cymbals with more of a specified nature to them even though they all are still crash/rides. Actually the terms have to do with HOW a cymbal is played -not what kind of cymbal it is.

I buy cymbals that can be used for either purpose. I usually settle on 18" diameter and larger and try to find the lightest vintage Zildjians I can get used. Roy Haynes made the Paiste 602 line famous with his 18" flat ride.

Generally speaking, today, anything under 18" is probably considered a crash and anything over an 18" is likely a ride....An 18" diameter seems to define that "crash/ride" territory...but it's all just terms.Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

sounds like you've already identified them pretty well, adam..

the "no print" on the Zildjian means at least one thing... it pre-dates the MTV era when cymbal companies began to cover their instruments with huge ugly logos to be seen by the cameras in music videos DOH

incidently, the pre-serial F602 is probably kinda valuable if it's in nice condition. you could surely probably get more than the 100 pounds for it if you didn't like it and sold it on ebay or something.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here