Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Help dating a Zildjian cymbal

I am just wondering what kind of time frame this cymbal was made. I've looked a pic after pic trying to guess before asking here. But I've given up. It's off a 20" ride, pretty light in weight (don't have a scale to weigh it on). Although the pic doesn't show it, the stamp actually distorts the cymbal by almost over a 1/16th of an inch forming a slight mound at the stamp. I would think that the stamp would distort down into the metal, forming more of a pothole. But it forms a mound as if it were pushed up from under the cymbal. It's the single dot in the middle that is throwing me for a loop - I can't seem to find another pic with just the single dot. The stamp seems to be heavier at the ends on the Z and o.

Guesses?

1 attachments
92.8 kB
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]There are actually 3 dots there, the lower two are just very faint.

I think you have a '60's cymbal there...the indents on the Z and O don't look deep enough to be a Trans-Stamp (earlier) one, IMHO.

Cymbal must be on the thinner side, no ?

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Good eyes Jaye. I've looked at that a hundred times in person and never looked at the picture. I do see the two other dots in the pic. I agree on the trans stamp. It's not deep enough on the z and o and a little too deep on the rest of it. And yes, the cymbal is a little on the thinner side.

Posted on 14 years ago

That's one of the early 60's trademarks. This is the one that I refer to as the "sculpted" version.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here