Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Help Date 2 Sets of A. Zildjian Hi Hats

1) Set 1: 13". I was told they were 50s by the seller a number of years ago. True?

First pic is the two hats and the second is the stamp (both have the same stamp). The stamp is 1 1/8 - 1 3/16ths in height.

2) Set 2: 14". I got these with an early 64 Ludwig set I bought. The seller claimed he was the original owner of the set and that these hi hats are what he got at the time.

The stamps are different on each of these 14" cymbals.

a) Pic 3 is 1 3/8ths" in height.

b) Pic 4 is a stamp that has the 'Zildjian & Co" extra deeply impressed, particularly at the beginning and end. It is 1" in height.

Do these look early 60s to you? The only discussion I could find on the internet about the extra deeply impressed lettering was from the 30s!?!? Can't be right. So I'm hoping one or more of you can assist.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Posted on 13 years ago

I like the match`n 13s`,...Can I have `Em !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]Set # 1 you are correct - 1950's....they look quite sweet, too.

Set #2 - (first off, I think you mixed 'em up - it is pic #4 which has the deeply impressed ends logo....not pic #3)

So, pic #4 is a Transitional stamp cymbal....mid/late1940's-early 1950's. Very sought-after.

Pic#3 of this set threw me waaay off for a minute - because the arabic script part of the stamp is UPSIDE-DOWN !

It doesn't have the same sorta stamp...they are not a factory-matched set. It appears to have the dots under the squiggly "U" with no dashes. This would make it earlier than the Trans-stamp, I believe.

(Or perhaps they may have been matched, since I believe the #3 cymbal is from the 1940's while the # 4 is late '40's - so, conceivably the factory could have put together a pair which were differently stamped yet laying around the factory together).

The first set is worth about $200. That second set...each cymbal separately is worth about $175.....

The previous owner of the Ludwigs didn't buy those cymbals new with the '60's set....that's for sure....(he may have been told they were new at the time, but they weren't).[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

Jaye, thanks for your input as always.

The older set 2 hi hats are strange to the touch (of my experiences as a hobby drummer who hasn't handled scores and scores of cymbals). They feel pretty waxy. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the last owner cleaned them for sale.

--The weignt of the upside down Arabic script one is 648g (pic 3).

--The weight of the trans stamp one is 697g (pic 4).

@ Oddball--I'm fairly sure I'll be selling the 13s soon. But it will be on Ebay UK.

My favorite is a pair of unknown brand Italians from the 60s that say "made in Italy" in a circular pattern. They are probably worth $50 on a good day. I like the way they don't chink, but slosh instead, if that makes any sense. Probably because I like 60s rock and roll.

Here are the full size of the two 14 Zildjians.

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Left to right:

late 1950's

early to mid 1940's

very early 1950's

Posted on 13 years ago

knavel,

Believe it or not, I know what you mean. I`ve had this no-named stamped made in Japan in a circular pattern and have heard lots of Hi Hats the same 14"s and still like mine. They are mostly Copper, I can tell by the color and softness, one is cracked two places on the edges and scratched on the bell,(top) and the other has mushroomed quite a bit. (bottom) I`m happy with the way they sound. They are prolly worth -50$ on thier best day, but I like `em !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks Bill. To the point and very helpful.

Oddball--maybe I'm an oddball too. I think the hi-hats I've liked the most are my brothers 15" -- I wanna say New Beats--that he got at a thrift store for $20 or something.

Posted on 13 years ago

Those hats are Ajahas. Many were sounded very close to the quality of the Zildjians of that time. That sloshy sound was in vogue then, popularized by such players as Chick Web.

Posted on 13 years ago

I have a set of hats with the 50's or 70's logo. I tend to think 50's because of lathing, but I'd like input from the forum.

The logos also look a little off center. I have no idea if that has any meaning...

What say ye?

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/IMG_6346.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/IMG_6347.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/IMG_6350.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/IMG_6348.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 13 years ago

A slightly better shot of the tilted logo.

[IMG]http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu172/wafulton/IMG_6351.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here