Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Heads on a Ludwig Vistalite?

I have a set of clear Ludwig Vistalites and wanted to put the original heads back on it, or close as I could get. What kind of heads were used on the Vistalites? I think mine are from the 1975. Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

I used the Bonham heads, see this thread:

click

Posted on 15 years ago

From Prostix

I have a set of clear Ludwig Vistalites and wanted to put the original heads back on it, or close as I could get. What kind of heads were used on the Vistalites? I think mine are from the 1975. Thanks

Ludwig made their own heads at the time. The toms probably would have had Ludwig silver dots, and the snare either a regular clear (roughly equivalent to a Remo Emporor twin-ply) or a silver dot.

Joep did a nice job restoring his Vista kit. But if what you're looking for is period authenticity, no Ludwig drum would ship with a Remo black dot...that's what arch-enemy Slingerland used!

Posted on 15 years ago

Well, you can´t get the original heads no longer, so why not give the kit a serious sound-upgrade, and fit it with Evans G2 on rhe top, and G1 on the bottom?

Back in the seventees i chose to put Remo Pinstripes on my Vistalites, instead of the original very hard-sounding Ludwig-heads, but i´m sure that you will get an even better sound using the Evans heads.

Best of luck

Carsten M

Posted on 15 years ago

This is a way late reply, but Ludwig brand heads are still availible, Silver dot would be the closed original equivelant.

I like the way Lud heads FIT the drums.. They seat better, sound better, and last longer than anything else I've tried.. Remo has been a loser, Evans is a mixed bag. Ludwig is a favorite, and Attack isn't bad either.

Posted on 14 years ago

Granted I choose Evans Blue Hydraulics because they looked so cool on the blue Vista's, BUT, as the heads get "worn in", they sounded really good!!

Just a thought, especially since Evans makes clear hydraulics....

Jeff

- Current restoration Project: Geo Way 5 piece
- 60's Oaklawn Walnut Camco kit (12/12/14/20) matching Snare (Camco hardware and Paiste black logo 2002s)
- 70's LA Maple Camco kit (12/13/16/22) matching Oaklawn snare (Rogers hardware and Paiste Signatures/Mellow ride)
- 70's Blue Vistalite Ludwig Monster kit (6/8/12/13/14/15/16/18/24) matching snare (all Hercules hardware, all Zidljian shadow logos)
Posted on 14 years ago

From Joep

I used the Bonham heads, see this thread:click

Joep, that thread was up and gone before I showed up here so I just wanna say that they were absolutely gorgeous. And what an incredible restore you did on them... all that silicone on the shells... WOW

I hope the sale went well for you, truly incredible.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here