Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

hat, stamp, and match

I found this cymbal and I know its zildjian a. It's 14 inches and weighs 1358 grams, so I assume it's a hat bottom. I think I know what year/era it is, but I want to make sure.

Also, how do I go about figuring what weight hat top would match nicely?

And if this pic is too cruddy I'll try again.

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

That pic is too small for me to hazard a guess. Even with my new reading glasses. A bigger pic would help. Also a pic of the overall cymbal top and bottom would be great. Sometimes other production clues (bell shape, lathing or hammering style) tell you what the stamp quite can't confirm on its own.

Meanwhile, can you also tell us the height of the stamp?

That cymbal may also be a marching band cymbal (from a pair) rather than a hat bottom. Does it show the usual hat wear around the edge? If so then it's been used as a bottom (whatever Zildjian thought it should be when they sold it).

As to a good weight for a top to go with it...

Depends on what you are after. If you want New Beat style then maybe 900g (bottom is 1.5 times the top is a target ratio I use as a starting point). But 100g lighter or 100g heavier might be just right. It depends on more than just raw weight. The profile has an impact as well. Plus bell size, and how stiff it plays.

Sometimes what is "just right" can be well outside your expectation. Consider:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcanABdfqEQ[/ame]

which is 576g over 1065g.

If you want a more 80s sort of pairing then you might have 1100g on top or more.

For homework: Have a look around some online sites like mycymbal.com where they have lots of A Zildjian hats with sound files and weights. See what you like the sound of. See also hazelshould.com for lots of A Zildjian used hats with weights and sound files.

Posted on 11 years ago

From jake52776

I found this cymbal and I know its zildjian a. It's 14 inches and weighs 1358 grams, so I assume it's a hat bottom. I think I know what year/era it is, but I want to make sure. Also, how do I go about figuring what weight hat top would match nicely?And if this pic is too cruddy I'll try again.

Even viewing it at 400% I could only hazard a guess. The three dots in the Arabic character are missing, but so much else is unclear. Its possible its a 50's trans stamp, or a 50's small stamp or a '50's large stamp, or a 70's stamp. Give us a sharper picture and we'll give you (hopefully) a better opinion.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 11 years ago

I'm awful at getting pics of cymbals. These should be better.

There is a lot of patina on the cymbal, but the stamp itself seems very shallow.

It does also have the normal hat wear around the inside edge. Thanks for your tips on weight and the link to the site.

Jake

4 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Looks 70s era to me.

Posted on 11 years ago

Yep. 70s.

Lynn

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 11 years ago

From SlingerLynn

Yep. 70s.Lynn

Had a many of Zildjians from the 1970s.The stamps on some are so faint that you need a magnafying glass to see em.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here