Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Good vintage cymbals for a working man???

I work on a pretty strict budget.. $150 for a cymbal would be a reach for me.. is there a good vintage cymbal set that comes to anyones mind that I might get into (one piece at a time) for under $400.. hats, ride, crash... any ideas on what I should be hunting for or does this beast not exist??

Thanks..

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Jim, I think your best bet is to keep your eyes open on craiglist. That's how I have pieced together my cymbals. I just acquired a 70's Zildjian Med/Thin Sizzle ride for $40. Sometimes people think because it is old and dirty that it isn't worth much. In the last 7 month's I have purchased a 90's 18" Zil. K Med/thin dark crash, 90's 10" K splash, 00's 10" A custom splash, early eighties 16" dark crash and the ride I just mentioned for under $300. Just keep your eyes open and be patient and you can find some killer deals. Mister T

Posted on 16 years ago

NEVER buy "budget" cymbals and only RARELY buy new cymbals (when they are exactly what you want). That's my 2 cents.

Watch Craig's list, EBay, etc. and buy some old Avedis Zlidjians.

NEVER cut corners on your cymbals.:2Cents:

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Jim,

What are you looking for in particular? I have some stuff laying around that might suit your needs.

Backbeatkeeper

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

A decent crash to replace my miserable clangy Krut would be my first move.. PM me if you got something you think would work well.

I have my 602 savings account building up but that is going to be awhile.

Posted on 16 years ago

What kind of sound are you looking for? Vintage A Zils, K Zils, Paiste, etc...?

If you play jazz and are looking for the "K" type sound, you should check out Dream cymbals. They are NOT K zils, but they have a similar vibe, are reasonably priced, hand hammered cast cymbals (eg: 22" ride = $160.00 average street price).

As noted, keep an eye on C-list and the 'Bay for sure.

IMHO, before you write off budget cymbals, play them. I purchased a 20" Meinl MCS "Student" quality ride cymbal - Ditto on a set of Paiste PST-5 low end hihats. They sound great - Plain and simple. Several Pro drummers love the PST-5 hats and use them regularly - Or mix and match with other hats.

Modern budget cymbals are far superior to the ones made 20 or more years ago. Use the ears not the eyes.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

The Dream "Bliss" line cymbals seem to be getting some really good press online.

I think you gave me a really good tip on that one.. now I just need to find a shop that carries them.

THANKS!

Posted on 16 years ago

From big daddy

As noted, keep an eye on C-list and the 'Bay for sure.IMHO, before you write off budget cymbals, play them. I purchased a 20" Meinl MCS "Student" quality ride cymbal - Ditto on a set of Paiste PST-5 low end hihats. They sound great - Plain and simple. Several Pro drummers love the PST-5 hats and use them regularly - Or mix and match with other hats.Modern budget cymbals are far superior to the ones made 20 or more years ago. Use the ears not the eyes.

This is quite true Old Sport.

We've come a long way from Camber or someone

else's filthy, keyholed and split tosses.

Take your time and Listen.

I've been meaning to try the Wuhan line with futures being

what they are...

Albeit a pile of them.

;)

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here