Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

gluing wrap at seam only?

I've read the posts on tape vs glue but have another question. I have un-wrapped some vintage (40's-60's) Slingerland,Rogers and Gretsch shells in the past and,they were only glued at the seam. Is this do-able on a rewrap?

Also what about gluing the wrap only to the wrap and not the actual shell so as not to damage the shell? Has anyone tried either of these 2 methods? Thanks!

Posted on 14 years ago

Bobby, you won't be able to just glue the ends, the newer wraps are of a harder plastic, than the old wrap's,, "ie" less pliable than the older wraps, you'll need to glue the entire surface of the bare shell, which answers your 2nd question, the wrap on wrap will not give the glue a mandible enough surface to stick to, to unwrap a shell you'll need a heat gun and a metal scrapper, and take your time as not to remove any wood plies and patience, hope this is of help. mark

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Also -wrap over wrap often results in a bad head fit. Your 2 choices are - glue everything or go with hi-bond tape at ends only (there are plenty of debates here on VDF about the former vs latter. Like Vintage2000 l prefer full-glue method also).[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here