Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Gaskets on drums - Why?

I think the idea of placing rubber or plastic gaskets under the lugs and mounts has become a rather common practice on new drums these days. But....Why?

I think it has to do with the fact that newer drum shells are made to be slightly undersized so that the bearing edge makes better contact with the underside of the drumhead and permits easier tuning. Since nobody wants their lug screws to splay out, gaskets were cut to make up the difference of the undersized shell and allow the lug screws a straighter alignment. As we vintage guys know, lots of older drums (especially wrapped ones) were either right on the dimension or they were slightly OVER-sized....so when you went to put on a new head, you had to sometimes really force the issue!Chewie:

I don't really like the look of the gaskets and I also wonder if they might act like a series of shell "mutes" and work against the shell's natural resonant characteristics.

If that theory is true, then isn't it a trade-off? Is an undersized shell with gaskets really just an example of transferring the same problem of reduced resonance that also occurs in the case in an over-sized shell with lugs that are un-gasketed? Cooked Egg

Maybe higher-profile lugs without gaskets would be a better all-around solution...but die-casting new stuff is very expensive (from what I'm told). I guess it's easier to make a smaller shell, but then, to make the right lugs to compensate for it is much more difficult.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

The gaskets protect the finish. They eliminate crack chips in the lacquer. And they pretty much eliminate cracking that occurs with wrapped finishes. Its really a good thing. As for lost resonance, I doubt you could tell the difference between the same drum with and without them.

On a side note......Rogers invented the undersized shell, with the design thought being 1/8 inch under call size, making the bearing edge contact better, and ensuring that the headspace was free.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

I think it also has to do with canceling vibration from the shell to lug, thereby reducing the possibility that the guts of the lug will rattle. I have a modern cheapo set with gaskets on everything... Lugs, tom mount, FT leg mounts, kick spurs... basically anywhere a piece of metal makes contact with wood.

Even though the set is uber-cheap, there's not one rattle, squeak or buzz from anything on the drums.

While this may dampen the shell as well, the trade off of not having rattles is (I think) worth it.

And this isn't a new phenomenon far as I can tell. I have a Kent tom with the old slide on mount and it has a felt gasket underneath the mount.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here