Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Garibaldi's ride on Soul Vaccination

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of trying to find a ride with a great bell sound, but not too much bell. Something that is diverse enough to use in many situations, like maybe in a GB band. The main objective is a good bell, but decent ride sound as well. I love the sound of Garibaldi's ride on Soul Vaccination, and other recordings of his from that period. Obviously the mic's and studios have a lot to do with it, (along with his ridiculous technique).

Does anyone know what he was playing? And more importantly, what would be comprable in sound today? I assume he was playing Sabian, but I would like to stick with Zildjian though.

As always, thanks for your input!

1963 Blue Sparkle Rogers 4pc
1969 Blue Sparkle Slingerland 26"x10" marching bass drum(converted into kick drum)
1940 Ludwig 26"x12" bass drum
1970's Ludwig Black Beauty
Posted on 13 years ago

skinnison!...

"Soul Vaccination" is off the 1973 "Tower of Power" album, and SABIAN wasn't even a company back then. I do know that back in the early days of TOP David Garibaldi was playing "A" Zildjians, and that would include all of this particular album. As to exactly what specific ride it was, who knows? You could contact DG himself through either TOP's website and/or his website, and I would bet that if he remembered, he would tell you! I want to mention that I saw TOP LIVE for the first time in 1975.. ( I was but 20 ) .. and was blown away, remaining a fan to this very day. Back then though, wow... that was something!

Tommyp

Posted on 13 years ago

From Tommyp

skinnison!..."Soul Vaccination" is off the 1973 "Tower of Power" album, and SABIAN wasn't even a company back then. I do know that back in the early days of TOP David Garibaldi was playing "A" Zildjians, and that would include all of this particular album. As to exactly what specific ride it was, who knows? You could contact DG himself through either TOP's website and/or his website, and I would bet that if he remembered, he would tell you! I want to mention that I saw TOP LIVE for the first time in 1975.. ( I was but 20 ) .. and was blown away, remaining a fan to this very day. Back then though, wow... that was something!Tommyp

Thanks man! 1973, huh. That would be the year I was born!

I just picked up an early 60's 22" Zildjian A and thought that if it were a 20" and a little heavier it might sound like that. Thanks for the info!

Nice set of Rogers by the way!

1969 Blue Sparkle Slingerland 26"x10" marching bass drum(converted into kick drum)
Posted on 13 years ago

From Tommyp

skinnison!..."Soul Vaccination" is off the 1973 "Tower of Power" album, and SABIAN wasn't even a company back then. I do know that back in the early days of TOP David Garibaldi was playing "A" Zildjians, and that would include all of this particular album. As to exactly what specific ride it was, who knows? You could contact DG himself through either TOP's website and/or his website, and I would bet that if he remembered, he would tell you! I want to mention that I saw TOP LIVE for the first time in 1975.. ( I was but 20 ) .. and was blown away, remaining a fan to this very day. Back then though, wow... that was something!Tommyp

I forgot to post this a while back. I emailed DG and he got right back to me, what a nice guy! Here is what he said:

"That cymbal, which I still have, is a 22" A. Zildjian - "heavy medium", purchased in 1971 at Don Wehr's Music City in San Francisco.

I keep it because it's very unique sounding (and also because I keep all my gear). Zildjian cymbals at that time were very one-of-a-kind, and each one you played had something very different."

His memory is just as sharp as his playing!

Posted on 13 years ago

skinnison!...

Superb!! I knew I was right on the Zildjian A's.. ( as I saw TOP many times back in the earlier days!, opening for them THREE TIMES, but already I begin to digress.. ) .. and I figured DG would indeed get back to you as he is that kind of guy... very approachable and willing to chat/share. GREAT that you got the info you were seeking, through this site and of course from DG himself!

Tommyp

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here