Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

funk hats

hi there,

does anyone know what kind of hihats the soul/funk drummers of the 60/70ies like jab'o starks, clyde stubblefield, Al Jackson, Jr etc. played?

where these new beats, or regualr A's?

which current line would come close?

thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi - I've heard these drummers lots over the years and like what they do/did. Modern Drummer featured them a few years ago - I have the magazine around somewhere - maybe their gear is featured there too. I will try to find the article. Also - their DVD would be a good one to look at if you haven't already done so - at this link:

http://www.hi-hats.biz/item--HL.00320220

From Bloody Rich

hi there,does anyone know what kind of hihats the soul/funk drummers of the 60/70ies like jab'o starks, clyde stubblefield, Al Jackson, Jr etc. played?where these new beats, or regualr A's?which current line would come close?thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

As one would imagine, each drummer brought something to the table. There were thin and medium and thick Zildjian hats in sizes ranging from twelve to sixteen. There were Paiste's with the same variety...and others.

The thing about drummers throughout history that seems to be forgotten is that they were drummers. That infers that they are like us. They played a variety of equipment and tried out even more. They played what was available at the studio or at the gig. Very few drummers can be nailed down to one size or type of anything.

Posted on 14 years ago

hi,

i guessed that they used anything they had lying around, though i know that especially the jb-drummers experimented a lot with gear in order to cope with the higher volume.

i pretty much can guess what the jazz cats of that time played.

however the funk-stuff is a different beast with the very closed hi-hat, which could have been two 14" heavy crash cymbals....

just thought someone would know a little more....

Posted on 14 years ago

I do. I know quite a bit about what these drummers played. That's just it...they played a huge variety of equipment. They played thin, thick, medium, crashes, hats, zildjian, paiste, etc. If you have a specific drummer in mind, maybe we can direct you to a deeper source of research. No one drummer played only one set. They played everything. Dennis Chambers played 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's, thin, med, thick. Jabo played about the same...except he played more than one brand. You really can't generalize here. Funk is a more percussive and staccato groove than say RnB or Jazz. It has a need for quicker and sharper hats. They improvised with what was available in the early days. If it sounds good, play it. Over time, the developers caught on to putting holes in the hats and making them thicker. That took time. There is no "proper" equivalent because there was not a standard set back then. There are FUNK hats sold today, but it's purely marketing. If you want a set of funk hats, demo them with no regard to brand or markings. Whatever sounds good and feels right is your set of funk hats. If this is for historical purposes, check out the DVD's and such on the history. Great stuff there. Very entertaining and educational.

Posted on 14 years ago

hey, of course i do play what i feel:)

mostly my old 13" k hats for everything which demands a crisp beat.

i am just interested for the fun of it.

so lets say whats on "funky drummer" and whats on "the payback" :)

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here