Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

Formula 602 ID Stamp ID - Help please

602 sizes and models from a 1967 Ludwig catalog (pre serial times for 602s)

[img]http://black.net.nz/drums/602sizes.jpg[/img]

I didn't mention all the other models available since yours seems to be at the lighter end of the scale.

They seem to go (lightest to heaviest)

thin crash; thin; medium; medium ride; heavy

Posted on 10 years ago

I also want to add that I believe there are profile and hammering differences between designations like "THIN" and "THIN CRASH" even if the models names are similar or "MEDIUM RIDE" and "HEAVY" even if they might be close in weight.

I have a pre-serial 22" "MEDIUM" at 2760g and an inkless 22" at 2830g and they are very different cymbals. The inkless has a higher profile, smaller hammer strikes, different bell, and is much pingier. I suspect it's a "MEDIUM RIDE". I'll need to buy lots of vintage 602's to complete my 'research'. I bought a reissue 24" "MEDIUM RIDE" (just shy of 4000g) last year, and a darn-near NOS pre-serial 24" "MEDIUM" last week (a light coat of dust away from 3500g).

JEEZ WIFE I'M ONLY BUYING THESE CYMBALS BECAUSE OF MY LOVE OF SCIENCE. WHY ARE YOU HOLDING UP THE ADVANCEMENT OF KNOWLEDGE?

Posted on 10 years ago

I salute you Captain, for your commitment to research. Cool1

You're the first person I've heard from who has been able to compare two cymbals and document profile differences and bell differences. Do you know how the two bells differ in height and diameter between the 22" marked MEDIUM and the unmarked one? Ditto for the 24" ones. Sound files would be great to hear as well.

Posted on 10 years ago

Hey guys. I finally got to weigh the cymbal. It is 1900grams. Seems as if it is probably a crash.

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 10 years ago

From xipa4

BTW,is your Z have hollow ink logo or solid ink logo?If hollow,that means your Z is made from 1978 to 1982.If solid,that means your Z is made from 1983 onwards.

Hi there - it is a solid logo. Awesome ride - I wish I knew what it is.

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 10 years ago

From zenstat

I salute you Captain, for your commitment to research. Cool1You're the first person I've heard from who has been able to compare two cymbals and document profile differences and bell differences. Do you know how the two bells differ in height and diameter between the 22" marked MEDIUM and the unmarked one? Ditto for the 24" ones. Sound files would be great to hear as well.

It's unfortunate (well, probably not for you) that you live in Middle-Earth and can't see them in person. They're both pre-serial, so it's not identifiable as an era difference.

I'm working on a much more numbers-happy comparison that I'm sure will warm the cockles of your statistical heart. I'll get a hold of you on CH through PM PDQ.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here