Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

First time cymbal post...

This is the first time I've posted in this topic. Heck, I rarely even look at it. One reason is I've had the same A Zildjian cymbals since the early 1970s and have been very happy with them. Because of that I've never had to do any "cymbal shopping" and consequently have been lazy and done almost zero reasearch. I've simply NOT kept up with cymbals. So, I usually don't deal in them.

But, this past weekend I scored one of those "garage sale" finds where you take all-or-nothing. A beat-up set of 1970s Pearl wood-fiberglass drums (with a fairly nice Ludwig Supra), complete with all hardware & stands and hihat cymbals (no-name cheapies) and one ride cymbal (and all for a REALLY good price!).

Here's the info on that ride cymbal: Definately A Zildjian 20" ride cymbal, just like the one I've had since the 1970s. Except for two differences:

1) The stamp has the "dots," so it's probably out of the 1960s.

2) It obviously had been damaged with a crack near the center mounting hole. However, someone did what seems to be an excellent repair job, cutting a "key-hole" to stop the crack. It does still sounds the same as mine in spite of the key-hole.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on its value?

Sorry, no pictures at this time...

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Bill,

Those cymbal are flat out workhorses.

The Keyhole simply means someone else loved as well and gave it a lot of stand time.

LoLoLoLo

For some people it will hurt value, personally as long as its not into the bridge of the bell I dont care.

60s/70's is my guess from the description.

I see them go in the 100-150 range depending on how bad the fixed bell is and overall condition.

Posted on 12 years ago

Pics... had to get the fireworks over with before I could post!

3 attachments
Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

Definitely 60's era, machine hammered, typical stamp.

This "keyhole" looks bad :( Do you know weight of it?

100$ is max I think

---------------------
In case of deal with johnnyringo:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...80&postcount=1
Posted on 12 years ago

First let me say I thing people get overly critical on key holing, although the above pic is the worse I've seen, I dont think it effects the way the cymbal plays or sounds. also, I'm unclear on how this occurs, I cant imagine that it happens just by having the cymbal on a stand.

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 12 years ago

Key holing occurs from the cymbal vibrating against the steel shaft of the stand, usually exacerbated by having the cymbal at an angle.

This is the reason we have sleeves on the stands.

Posted on 12 years ago

I don't think this is normal "key-holing." This appears to be deliberate, which could be why it seems to be worse that what is normally seen. I'm still thinking a crack that a previous owner "fixed" by cutting around it.

In any event, like I said it still sounds good. I don't have a use for this cymbal, but will keep it around... maybe good trade stock sooner or later!

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

Bill, I have a ride with the same shape keyhole and have seen a few others with it as well.

Keep it around, throw it on a stand and get to know it...you never know what magic these old A's have in them.

Posted on 12 years ago

I had a old 18" Zild crash with about half as much keyhole. I was the one that wore it in over the years. Didn't know any better back then. :confused: Finally got a stand with a plastic sleeve. It never really changed the sound that I noticed. Wish I still had that one too. Was nice and light.

That's a nice 20". I picked one up months ago and love it.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here