Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Dynasonic

I am in the proccess of restoring my 60's COB Dynasonic. The dynasonic snare frame was not included when I originally obtained the drum. I am not too woried about this as I am it is a player drum, and not strictly a collection piece.

As I was putting it all back together this morning, I noticed the bottom snare hoop was bent and did not make a perfect circle. I applied presure and can not seem to get a perfect circle .

So my question are #1 Do I continue to attempt to make the hoop perfectly round, or do I try to track down a replacement hoop on ebay or some place.

Question # 2: If it is possible for me to get the sanre hoop referctly round, and without the use of the original snare frame, will the snares fit flush againgst the bottom head, or will there be some lift at the bearing edges ?

If so, should I look for a more traditional bottom snare hoop that will work?

Thanks, Paul

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Paul...

The best thing of course would be to return the Dynasonic to it's original condition... Having said that:

The snare frame SHOULD be on the drum... otherwise, it's NOT a Dynasonic! Without the snare frame/snares, the drum is nothing more than a brass Rogers SuperTen, if you will. You lose the entire essence of what makes a Rogers Dynasonic a Dynasonic. So,

The snare frames can usually be found on eBay, or, immediately at Al Drew's Music in Woonsocket, RI. Dave sells these brand new as they are manufactured right to the original Rogers specs/plans. I think they run approx. $75.00... THIS HAS to be on the drum for the FULL/PROPER Dynasonic experience. Okay,

Regarding the bottom hoop being not quite in round... Again, it would be best if it were, but the bottom hoop really has no bearing on HOW the snares lie on the bottom head, or the "bearing edges" themselves. The snare frame never actually comes in contact with the bottom hoop... they LITERALLY lie on the head itself. The hoop pulls the head down on the bearing edges, or in this case, up on the edges, and doesn't interfere with the snare frame/snares at all... But,... I think you would eventually want a nice in round bottom hoop. You can get this drum all up and running while you continue to search out a replacement bottom hoop w/snare guards... or if you can find the proper year hoop, you can transfer your snare guard plates. In the meanwhile, I bet you can get your hoop pretty much in round... certainly enough to suffice while you hunt for a replacement.

Hope this was of some help!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here