Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Drumate cymbals made in Korea

Does anybody have any experience with these cymbals offered by Violin King on Ebay. I called them, they had no soundfile, no vids, etc. and did not know how to do those. He did not know anything about them other than they are made in Korea and that they bought a bunch of them at the wholesale level at a guitar show.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cymbal-20-hand-harmmered-/390329719605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae176db35#ht_1268wt_1317

They offer 20 in ride, as well as 16 and 18 crashes, possibly more.

The prices are very affordable and are hand-hammered......I am sure many other than myself are wondering how they sound.

Please share any experience with this/them.

Thanks,

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

This is difficult to detail because in the brief time I am doing this, I might miss a category----If anyone wants to add one , go right ahead.

Cymbal Manufacturing Process and It's Potential to Produce a Great Cymbal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stamped from non- copper bearing material 0%

Stamped from Brass 0%

Stamped from White Brass 5%

Stamped and spun from Brass 10%

Stamped and spun from White Brass 20%

Stamped and spun from Brass and cosmetically hammered 10%

Stamped and spun from White Brass and cosmetically hammered 20%

Stamped and spun from Brass and full machine hammered 15%

Stamped and spun from White Brass and full machine hammered 30%

Stamped and spun from Brass and fully hand hammered 20%

Stamped and spun from White Brass and fully hand hammered 35 %

Stamped and spun from standard sheet Bronze 25%

Stamped and spun from standard sheet Bronze and cosmetically hammered

20%

Stamped and spun from standard sheet Bronze and machine hammered

25%

Stamped and spun from standard sheet Bronze and hand hammered

30%

Stamped and spun from proprietary alloy 70%

Stamped and spun and machine hammered from proprietary alloy 75%

Stamped and spun and hand hammered from proprietary alloy 85%

Rotocast and machine hammered low tin Bronze 55%

Rotocast and hand hammered low tin Bronze 65%

Rotocast and machine hammered high tin Bronze 70%

Rotocast and hand hammered high tin Bronze 90%

Ingot cast and machine hammered low tin Bronze 50%

Ingot cast and hand hammered low tin Bronze 60%

Ingot cast and machine hammered high tin Bronze 70%

Ingot cast and hand hammered high tin Bronze 95%

This cymbal , although new, is unlikely to be cast. It is probably stamped and spun and then cosmetically hammered out of sheet bronze at best. It might be better to keep an eye out for an inexpensive older A. Zildjian. You will pay slightly more than twice the price for 10 times the cymbal. As far as the hand hammering. This is a common cymbal making trick. A true hand hammered cymbal is actually shaped and formed during the process of hammering---literally multiples of thousands of hammer strokes. Whacking a cymbal with a few dings to make it look like it is hammered is cute but doesn't cut it. This is a stamped and spun cymbal , plain and simple. Could be brass, could be bronze but that isn't of much relevance.

Posted on 12 years ago

I really dig this whole spectrum look at methods of manufacturing! Where did you get it? Or did you write it yourself?

I found a bunch of users on Ebay who had bought them and messaged a bunch of them. I only got one message back, but he said that they are trash and to skip it.

If looks were all that it was about........

Thanks for your thoughts on them though. No, I am not going to chance a buy. They remind me of the Paiste 400s with the big (machine no doubt) hammering.

If I need to recommend for others (my customers) or were to (attempt to) buy some good cymbals at a more affordable cost, I would probably go for some Wuhans....despite their lack of QC. At least they are B20s. If we only were able to check them out in person.

I wonder if there is a huge dealer of Wuhans that would be able to accommodate sampling.

BTW, please pray for me as I am being bitten by the Paiste bug pretty bad (all Zildjians and Sabians over the last 29 years) and am starting to buy them up......can't afford to fall too deeply in love with them! Have some 404s on the way and have some 505s, as well as some 400HHs on the way.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

It was just a stab in the dark, based on my experience with cymbals. Might be completely wrong for someone else, I suppose. I can't say, I have had much luck with the cosmetically hammered cymbals , that I have come across. I would class them as adequate for practice but not gigable. Most of the ones I have come across have been Italian or Japanese-----with the Japanese examples falling well below the Italian ones.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here