Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Dream Cymbals

My son and I just picked up a pair of Dream Bliss cymbals from Steve Weiss music in Pa. Both of us had heard good things about them and since we happened to be in the area, we thought we'd give a listem. Mike Sikora at Steve Weiss brought out several 20's and 22's for us to listen to and even suggested combinations that complemented each other. In the end we bought a 20 and 22 for a lot less then any other new 20" cymbal would cost on its own.

We own around 30 rides, but these were two of the most exciting cymbals we had heard for quite a while. Great stick, warm wash with a hint of trash, Both the 20 and 22 were very crashable. Major edge wobble. These are genuine jazz cymbals at a great price. I hate to use jargon, but the only word I can think of to describe them is organic.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago

Welcome to Dream land. I've touted these pieces for a bit here. Simply love 'em. You do have to either test them or have someone who knows you well enough to test them for you. Of course, you have to do that with most cymbals. I love my Dreams. Great feel and excellent sounds. Glad you were open enough to give them a chance.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

I am also a huge fan of Dream. Here I have a 24" Contact with a tiny bell that is just unbelievable and a 19"Bliss Crash Ride that does it all and is light to carry. Wonderful stuffCool1

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago

From RogerSling

Welcome to Dream land. I've touted these pieces for a bit here. Simply love 'em. You do have to either test them or have someone who knows you well enough to test them for you. Of course, you have to do that with most cymbals. I love my Dreams. Great feel and excellent sounds. Glad you were open enough to give them a chance.

We actually spent over 90 minutes selecting the ones we wanted. We tested two or three 22's, three or four 20's and three 18's. in various combinations. I can't remember the exact numbers of each. In the end the combo that worked best to our ears was a 20 and a 22, which just happened to be the exact same pair that Mike Sikora recommended as having the best synergy. He's got great ears. He even provided us with the sticks my son normally uses to test them, VF AJ6's for low volume work, and Zildjian John Rileys.

The normally great sounding AJ6's did not sound their best on these cymbals, but the John Rileys were terrrific. When we got them home and compared them to some of our favorite rides, it was clear that these are low volume cymbals best used for small ensemble jazz, IMHO. They were so natural sounding. Some of our Bosphorus cymbals at more than 2 1/2 time the price couldn't compare.

These are cast B20 cymbals. They appear to be at least partially, if not fully, hand hammered. The logo on the 20 is different then that of the 22, the 20 logo being more modern and hip looking. I believe the 22 is older stock accounting for that difference.

We had gone just to listen. If they had sounded like crap we would have walked away regardless of the price. This is a pair of great sounding professional quality cymbals at a price level just a little above Ziljdian and Sabian's B8 stamped sheet offerings. Of course like every hand made cymbal, you have to be careful when selecting. Some of the ones we listened to sounded gongy and very unTurkish. and reminded me of some of the poorer Wuhans I have heard.

I would not hestitate to recommend giving them a listen. But as was suggested, don't buy them without hearing them first... and with your preferred stick if possible.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago

I have 15" Bliss hats and they are wonderful, very light and dark, jazzers all the way. As a matter of fact, I have tried out/used the top as a crash and WOW, what a cymbal!

Now, I am on to another set that is B20 and hand hammered, for a bargain price. These are the "new" Wuhan "Western Traditional". I have heard them, and for the money, you can't even begin to imagine the quality sound of them. I realize I am getting old, and my ears have long gone on perma-vaca...but the light weights make some very nice, mid-level jazz cymbals. I may have been listening to someones hand selected from many packs set, but they are wonderfully light and jazzy. Not anywhere close to a cutting rock set, but like the Bliss pies, they are sweet for the money. When you can buy a mini-pack for less than 160 bucks to your door, hand made and all, it's hard to say no.

My jazzer friends at OU are using them for small venue sets (in conjunction w/my drums...amazingly) and they work well. As is the same with the Bliss, volume is not their forte, but mics could cure that. Lighter weights make these perfect for close and intimate settings, like a small Italian restaurant or a small "theater" (also known as a bar). I can't say enough for these guys, and I think Cascio offers buyer protection, so it is a win-win.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wuhan-WUTBSU-Western-Style-Cymbal-Set-w-FREE-Cymbal-Bag-/200616234312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5a8cd48#ht_1186wt_905

PS, you cannot get this deal anywhere but this website.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Also picked up a 20'' and a 22'' recently here in town and love them.

And if they seem a bit too washy you can cut a small piece of

self stick weather stripping to the bottom for a drier darker tone.

Probably one of the best ideas I've come up with drum related.

But it does make them quieter, only takes just a small little piece

to control the wash out.

I believe they are paper thin in weights, but right at the cusp between

thin and paper thin.

My 22'' also seems like older stock with Chinese writing where as the

20'' is the newer updated Dream logo.

My next step is to have them aged from a local guy who makes runs

over to Turkey and picks up Cymbal & Gong brand hand hammered

pies, which also are some great pies, but he ages/patina's them here

in town. Just not sure I can go too long without them for him

to do his custom patina thing...

flower

Found it!!
Posted on 13 years ago

I've been playing Dream Bliss and Dream Vintage Bliss for a couple of years now. I have the paper thin "Vintage Bliss 20" ride. The ad copy used to describe this cymbal is fantastic; "warm dark wash with a hint of dragon's breath".

I use the 18 and 16" crashes to great effect with a lovely sustain in the 16 that is only rivaled by my 16 K Constantinople at 3X the price. Just picked up the 13" Bliss hats. Amazing chick and warm resonance. The 12" splash is a treat for the ear!

The only difference I find in the Dream lines is they do not carry the fit and finish that is found in higher end lines like Zildjian A's or Sabian AA brilliants.

But seriously, the "only" difference is the fit and finish. The sound is all there!

Cheers!

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 13 years ago

From EricP

Also picked up a 20'' and a 22'' recently here in town and love them.And if they seem a bit too washy you can cut a small piece ofself stick weather stripping to the bottom for a drier darker tone.Probably one of the best ideas I've come up with drum related.But it does make them quieter, only takes just a small little pieceto control the wash out.I believe they are paper thin in weights, but right at the cusp betweenthin and paper thin.My 22'' also seems like older stock with Chinese writing where as the20'' is the newer updated Dream logo.My next step is to have them aged from a local guy who makes runsover to Turkey and picks up Cymbal & Gong brand hand hammeredpies, which also are some great pies, but he ages/patina's them herein town. Just not sure I can go too long without them for himto do his custom patina thing...flower

I'd be really cautious having them "aged". He might be using chemicals that will etch the finish. Not a good thing. I use aging chemicals on metals for my hobby as a model ship buider. The oxidation I add to metals is a form of rust. I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, but proceed with care.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here