Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Double stamped Zildjian cymbal approx year??

Hi all- I recently purchased a Zildjian 16" sizzle china cymbal. It has 6 rivets, ea are anywhere from .75" edge to center to 1.25" edge to center. The Zildjian stamp is close to 1.25" in length, where as the Cie Constantinople stamp is same just under 1.25" in length and to the right of the Zildjian stamp (same side). The cymbal is pretty light and kind of thin, I don't know the exact weight. I'm wondering, based on the pics enclosed, what year this may be from. Is the double stamp rare? Has anyone seen this before? Is it common? Do you suppose the rivets were/are original? Cymbal sounds real nice and I'm real happy with it. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Posted on 6 years ago

Mid to late 1970s was the time when both of those stamps were in use. Early 1970s is when the Brilliant finish buffing machine was patented and the service was offered in ads ($8 additional per cymbal). The Brilliant finish like yours has was available on both A Zildjian and A Zildjian & Cie Constantinople cymbals.

A few cymbals escape the factory with no stamps, a few have 2. The average is 1 per cymbal.

The flare pattern on the rivet you show is in the style of the Zildjian factory tool, but I'd like to see an overall picture of the cymbal to see just where the rivet holes were drilled and the overall pattern of the six. Even if the pattern looks factory we can't rule out that some drum shop did the work and purchased a flaring tool which produces that pattern.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks a million for the response! Most enlightening! I have attached a few more pics of the complete cymbal, both sides. What do you think?

d

3 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Very nice looking. The rivet placement seems accurate and even which is another mark of being a Zildjian factory job. Again, not 100% guaranteed, but it ticks all the boxes in the checklist for factory rivets.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks again! Really appreciate your input. It's very helpful and rewarding to have your expertise and this site. Great resource, and great reading. Most excellent!!

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here