Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Do rivets/holes decrease value?

I picked up this old Zildjian cymbal in a curio shop. I was actually looking for a suitcase to build a suitcase drum set. I told the guy why I wanted the old suitcase and while he didn't have one that I liked he said he had some old cymbals. He had a couple really cheap looking no name cymbals. One was a Zildjian 20" and it's got rivet holes that I believe were most likely drilled by a previous owner. Did they make cymbals with factory rivets or were they all after market? Do actual rivets sound/work best or will brass fasteners work just as well? This cymbal says K.Zildjian Co. Made in Turkey and the lathing looks sort of uneven. It's a 20" the guy said it's old and wanted 80 bucks, I offered him 50$ and we settled on 70$.

There are 7 rivet holes, six relatively equal distance apart but not exact and one about 2" away from one of the six. I was afraid that these holes, especially the odd one would diminish the value. I really love the sound of this thing but I'm wondering if I should put some real rivets in it, and if the holes diminish the value. It seems quite old. Also the turkish writing is very different from the stuff on my other Zildjians.

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1970 Rogers Power Tone Kit
1970's Ludwig Vistalite Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
28 assorted snares (including some real crap)
and 1 really nice K Zildjian Istanbul
Posted on 11 years ago

This is a joke post, right? I mean, do people still get Turkish K's from pawn shops for under a hundred dollars? Not really, right? You're just jerkin' the chain........marko

Posted on 11 years ago

From mcdrummer

I picked up this old Zildjian cymbal in a curio shop. I was actually looking for a suitcase to build a suitcase drum set. I told the guy why I wanted the old suitcase and while he didn't have one that I liked he said he had some old cymbals. He had a couple really cheap looking no name cymbals. One was a Zildjian 20" and it's got rivet holes that I believe were most likely drilled by a previous owner. Did they make cymbals with factory rivets or were they all after market? Do actual rivets sound/work best or will brass fasteners work just as well? This cymbal says K.Zildjian Co. Made in Turkey and the lathing looks sort of uneven. It's a 20" the guy said it's old and wanted 80 bucks, I offered him 50$ and we settled on 70$.There are 7 rivet holes, six relatively equal distance apart but not exact and one about 2" away from one of the six. I was afraid that these holes, especially the odd one would diminish the value. I really love the sound of this thing but I'm wondering if I should put some real rivets in it, and if the holes diminish the value. It seems quite old. Also the turkish writing is very different from the stuff on my other Zildjians.

That trademark script is different from your other Zildjians because what you have there is a K. Zildjian. It's probably worth more around 15 X what you just paid for it or more. And to answer your question rivet holes usually do decrease value slightly, but in this case the difference would be negligible. K. Zildjian cymbal shipped from Turkey and arrived at the Brooklyn N.Y. warehouse in virginal condition. Then if any request for a sizzle was made, then the drilling job was done right there. Whether or not not you want to put rivets into those holes is up to you. If you do I would suggest that you try just one first and add more to suit your taste. Just think of rivets as "cymbal spice"...a little goes a long way and can be good, but you just don't want to overdo it.

Posted on 11 years ago

From mcdrummer

I picked up this old Zildjian cymbal in a curio shop. I was actually looking for a suitcase to build a suitcase drum set. I told the guy why I wanted the old suitcase and while he didn't have one that I liked he said he had some old cymbals. He had a couple really cheap looking no name cymbals. One was a Zildjian 20" and it's got rivet holes that I believe were most likely drilled by a previous owner. Did they make cymbals with factory rivets or were they all after market? Do actual rivets sound/work best or will brass fasteners work just as well? This cymbal says K.Zildjian Co. Made in Turkey and the lathing looks sort of uneven. It's a 20" the guy said it's old and wanted 80 bucks, I offered him 50$ and we settled on 70$.There are 7 rivet holes, six relatively equal distance apart but not exact and one about 2" away from one of the six. I was afraid that these holes, especially the odd one would diminish the value. I really love the sound of this thing but I'm wondering if I should put some real rivets in it, and if the holes diminish the value. It seems quite old. Also the turkish writing is very different from the stuff on my other Zildjians.

Please get us some good pictures of the cymbal, top and bottom and a good close up or two pf the stamp so we can help you with the period and value. It may be worth well over a thousand dollars.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 11 years ago

If it is really vintage K zildjian...you found a treasure!

---------------------
In case of deal with johnnyringo:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...80&postcount=1
Posted on 11 years ago

I had a guy look at it from the local drum shop. He says it's a '67-'77, not sure how he know's those exact years, made in istanbul.

Tried to post pics but it says I need to resize. the file is too big. Anyone know how to do that?

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
Posted on 11 years ago

From mcdrummer

I had a guy look at it from the local drum shop. He says it's a '67-'77, not sure how he know's those exact years, made in istanbul. Tried to post pics but it says I need to resize. the file is too big. Anyone know how to do that?

for this forum, i usually go into paint and resize down to about 15 percent. try that.

mike

Posted on 11 years ago

Ok here's another attempt at posting a pic of the stamp. How old is this, and is it worth anything? I mean I know it's worth at least a hundred or two but could it be worth more?

1 attachments
1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
Posted on 11 years ago

And here are some more pics, I really did find this cymbal and almost passed on it. I saw the made in turkey on the stamp and thought this could be cool but mostly I liked the washy, trashy sound. How important is the weight? what weight should it be. I keep seeing cymbals for sale on Ebay and they list the grams.

1958 Gretsch Kit
1966 Kent Kit
1969 Ludwig Standard Kit
1994 Yamaha Maple Custom
2010 Yamaha Maple Custom
Posted on 11 years ago

From mcdrummer

And here are some more pics, I really did find this cymbal and almost passed on it. I saw thlr e made in turkey on the stamp and thought this could be cool but mostly I liked the washy, trashy sound. How important is the weight? what weight should it be. I keep seeing cymbals for sale on Ebay and they list the grams.

You're joking right? You paid $70 for an old K New Stamp from the early/mid '70s. Its probably worth around $1200 or so in today's market. If you're not pulling our legs you got the bargain of the century.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here