Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Dirty Zildjian Avedis Hihats

Alright... Got these hihats along with my second hand kit 17 years ago. They were gigged for about nine years and have had 'something' spilled on them, not sure what (booze?!). Tried to photograph it, and photographed the engraved name/logo bit. Any recommendations for cleaning them? I like the sound of them, the intention is just to not have big stains on them.

By the way, and this will probably sound mental after me saying I've had them for 17 years, but should a certain one go on the top, and a certain one on the bottom?

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Those aren`t that bad at all. I have great success with liquid Brasso, a cleaner availible at hardware stores. Use a cotton cloth (old towel) for finnish polishing, and use the greenpad part of a sponge to scrub. You wont need much effort to clean those off,..Polish, polish, polish with the towel and they will shine great for about two weeks and go back to that beautiful bronze color again for years !!

Oh, the bottom one goes on the bottom and the other one goes on the top !!

Don`t forget to tilt a hair !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

All Jokes aside,..there are certin bottom HH cymbals but you can distinguish them cuz they have crimps to expel air !!...yours don`t , I`ve seen 13" on the bottom and 6" on the top,..it`s a preference type thing !!

Posted on 13 years ago

tried water yet?

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

Brasso is in the "serious chemicals" league. It is the 5th step along a series of treatments.

Blair suggests water. That's step one.

Next try soap and water and a bit of elbow grease. I use an old T-shirt (I always seem to have them around) but any cotton fabric like that has a slightly abrasive ability due to the nature of the fibers.

Report back and we'll talk about 3 and 4 before the Brasso comes out.

Disclaimer: I'm coming from the "I don't want to have to wear sunglasses when I glance at my cymbals" end of the "should my cymbals be shiny and new looking" continuum. x-mas3

Posted on 13 years ago

Wich ever way you decide to clean them, (and after nine years, water is useless) cut a hole the size of the bell in a pizza box, turn the cymbal upsidedown and put the bell in the hole to have the cymbal lay flat so your elbow grease don`t bend your cymbal or something to that effect !! For the top, lay it on a big pile of rags or towels, just don`t let the elbow grease bend your cymbal !! And NEVER EVA EVA use a power tool on a cymbal,..You`ll go blind !!

Posted on 13 years ago

Cheers for the suggestions - I'll try water first then, and report back. :-)

Posted on 13 years ago

I love Scotland (was there in 1985) so if H2o doesn't work,let me know.....

I'll fly out and give ya a hand trying to clean them................

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

Nae bother. :-)

Posted on 13 years ago

As far as deciding which one goes on top, weigh each one if you have access to a pretty sensitive scale and put the heaviest one on the bottom.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here