Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Did drum store do correct re-wrap

Hi, all. I'm a boomer who finally has some time to do what he wants to do. I've recreated a WMP Slingerland set from the mid 60's. Here's what happened recently when I had a bass and tom recovered. The bass is 20x20 and it's an 18" tom. The wrap was purchased from the guys in New York state, love the wrap but the shop that did the new wrap "spliced" if, for lack of a better word. On the bass and tom it looks like there wasn't enough wrap to go completely around. The bass has about an 8" "filler" and the tom is about 6". It's well done but is this an accepted practice? I just didn't know and was embarrassed to ask so I thought I would ask on this forum so people can't see that I feel industrial strength bewildered. Please be gentle, it's been a long time since I got to indulge in my passion and I have a lot to re-learn.

Thanks, Mac

Posted on 14 years ago

can you post some pics of the drums wrap??

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes, I can get pix but I probably can't post them until tomorrow night.

Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

Wrap currently is only manufactured in 24x54 pieces.

There is no way to wrap an 18" or bigger drum with one piece, hence the splice. That is the current industry standard on ALL wrapped drums.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Exactly - only wrap available longer than 54" is satin flame - all others are as Plough stated (gotta say though - I always tell my clients this BEFORE proceeding - just so they know)[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

the ploughman is correct, here is a pic of my 16x18 tom this is what your describing!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Thank you so much Ploughman. I sure feel better now. I rounded up the pieces to re-create the set I started in 1963 and played thru 1976. In '76 I went on morning drive at the radio station where I worked for 42 years and had to get up each morning at 2:30-am. Night life became non exsistant but not anymore! The drums are all vintage Slingys, 20x20 bass, 18, 16 and 9x13 toms. Snare is 9" deep and is the snare I played in school band starting '61.

Cymbals are mid 60's Z's with 14" sock, 20" and 16" ride and crash. The only modern conessions I've made is a chain drive hi-hat and a single chain (on the right side of he mallot) bass pedal...both are Slingerland. I enjoy making custom music programs, killing the main speakers and turning the cans up to max and drumming along. I've been ask to do fill-in for a 60's/70's cover band and I feel like I'm 18-years old again. I like to think I took the radio job in between drumming gigs, know what mean? Life is good. Thanks for your answer.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks to all of you who brought me up to speed. It's good to share a passion with others who don't consider it obessive compulsive and even if it is...so what!

Mac

Posted on 14 years ago

I didn't know Slingerland made a 20x20. Would love to see pics

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here