Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

de-rattling a rb gretsch floortom

hi there,

i bought a great gretsch rb set recently and i have one practical issue with the floortom:

the legs touch the lower rim of the drum and create a buzz/rattle.

is there anything i could do besides bending the legs slightly?

i do need the drum foremost for playing and not as a collectors item.

but i wonder if it might be better to exchange the legs for different ones and keep the original ones untouched.

thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's funny...the only complete Gretsch rehab I ebver did had the same problem...but I think you could actually barely slide a sheet of paper in between the legs and the hoop.

...personally, I would go with option B...use replacement legs and set the originals aside in a safe place.

Other option, I suppose, would be to switch out the res side hoop.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Mine have always done that but if I move the drum slightly it will stop.

I've put Dr. Scholl's moleskin (those poor little moles) on the rims where the legs rub.

I've thought about using a short section of electrical heat shrink around the legs to prevent it, and it would probably work but then you wouldn't be able to push the legs all the way in for transport and storage, so I just live with it.

If you can live with taking off the legs when you move the drum, the heat shrink would be a fairly tidy fix. Maybe even a few layers.

I'm sure I'm not the first guy to put small clamps around the bass drum spurs (inside the drum) so that you just pulled them out to the same spot memriloc style to set them up.

Posted on 15 years ago

since i did not want to participate in the senseless exploitation of the beloved moles i went with little pieces of felt attached to the rims and: rattle be-gone!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here