Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Dating this UFIP Splash

Please lend your expertise to help me date this UFIP 11 inch splash (10 7/8 inches) ...... thinking of flowers and a bottle of cheap wine with a dance in the rain in the park....a romantic Italian splash might like that ;)

Seriously though - see the stamp - no ink - my guess is that my guess is right - but way too broad: 50s or 60s or 70s! Of course would be cool if I was wrong and it was older. Tried to get good pics showing lathing and smooth, gradual bridge.

It is approximately 315 grams. The hole is 7/16s

Thanks,

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

couple more pics

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

Nice looking. That's called the "pyramid stamp". I've got 3 20" rides with that stamp. Well, actually the rides are 500 mm because they are metric. Same with yours. That's a 300 mm splash. My hats are 350 mm. You get used to it.

The smooth gradual bridge and killer bell (and most likely thick) are all part of the casting method used by UFiP. These cymbals are actually cast in the shape of a cymbal. The Italians are the only ones who do "cast" cymbals in that strict sense. Zildjian cymbals are more "rolled from a cast ingot" than "cast in the shape of a cymbal", but Zildjian have settled on the "cast cymbal" name for their superior lines so there it is.

As to the date, I'm afraid that I can't narrow it down to anything more than you already have: 1950s or 1960s. Not 70s as far as I can tell. By then you are into the Ritmo period which has different die stamped trademarks. In my spare time I'm trying to gather a bit of information about older UFiPs to answer that very question.

Rob Scott explains the origins of the pyramid stamp, but other than that his info is very sparse.

Enjoy.

Posted on 11 years ago

It looks kind of like a splash that I had with the pyramid stamp. The bell was different though. I was told by Alberto Biasei at UFIP that the closest he could date it was late 40's to late 60's. If you want, you can always ask them questions by emailing directly.at [email]info@ufip.it[/email]

They usually get back to me the next business day (their time) when possible. I even showed them a set of hi hats that had been long claimed to be UFIP made, even on the interwebs, but when they looked at the pics, they said that they could confirm from the just from the name and the lathing that it was never part of their production.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here