Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Dating K Constantinople

I just aquired cheaply a 15"(980g) K Constantinople also has an F about 1/2" to the right of the cymbal. Under Constantinople is the word "trademark". Has signature under the bell.

There is also inscribed in very nice detailed lettering(not a stamp) USQMC which i assume is early military designation.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/sonorjedi/IMAG0399.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/sonorjedi/IMAG0401.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/sonorjedi/IMAG0402.jpg[/IMG]

Any idea of the time frame of this cymbal?

The down side as pics show, the bell is really cracked bad, not very usable but that's why i bought it. I plan on using a disc(cut from old cymbal) and JB weld and use it as a bottom hat which will work nice with my 700g pre-trans stamp A.

Next question is, do i use the disc on the bottom covering the very nice signature or go from the outside making it look a little odd?

Thanks for your help/opinion.

Gary

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

A lot of the sound of a cymbal comes from the bell. It's obvious your bell is destroyed. I'd be surprised if a JB welded disc will be any improvement. Good luck anyway !

Posted on 12 years ago

Here's a pic of the disc i made.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/sonorjedi/IMAG0403.jpg[/IMG]

Tdennis, i'm sure the sound is going to be different that is why i matched it up with a top hat and they sound good together. I bought it as a project. I've had success with the disc/JB weld combo on rides with very little change to sound. The bell becomes muted but still playable. Strength of repair is very good. I think as a bottom hat it will be strong while still projecting nicely.

I'll post pics when i'm done.

Gary.

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

I have an old 21" china that had this repair done to it. it works great. I will post a picture soon.

Posted on 12 years ago

that would be 30's era i think. and thats a big i think. ive got one of these in 12" that ive been trying to find a matching top hat for.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Well...GOOOOLLLLEEE!

Looks like Gomer Pyle got to it...

USMC and all

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago

There is also inscribed in very nice detailed lettering(not a stamp) USQMC which i assume is early military designation

That stands for the United States Army Quartermaster Corps, and that's U.S. Army.

Posted on 12 years ago

Here's a 592g, 12 7/8" I've used as both a top and bottom hi hat cymbal. Looks like a hole repair was done years ago as it is the same color brass as the cymbal.

Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 12 years ago

i hav a 14 i use it for my hat bottom its so heavy with a60 a's light top still experimenting the sound is so aged

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

From Drumaholic

That stands for the United States Army Quartermaster Corps, and that's U.S. Army.

Thanks for the info, this makes perfect sence, so is this considered an old stamp K?

Orangemi, i will have pics of my repair later. So far it's good and strong. Sounds good , i might use it for a top.

Thanks guys for the info, Gary.

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here