Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Cymbal worth

Just wanted to go on record ... Vintage cymbal prices will begin dropping relatively soon.

I've watched the manner in which these deals have matured and can say with quite a bit of confidence that the numbers will decline.

I'm not posting this to incite, so those of you heavily invested, please do not shoot The messenger out of anger or fear. I'm just putting it down on the forum. I did this within another thread a couple of years ago in reference to vintage drums. The market is fairly easy to predict. I also predicted the increase in cannibalized drums. Check eBay these days for Slingerland kits. They are lost amidst the stripped out shells. It's not rocket science. Anyone with an open eye to trends and movement can see it.

Believe or not ... it will happen.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Plus 1! I've seen the market drop lately for Paiste Sigs & Trads, a couple buyers with too much money pays an un-Godly sum for a cymbal...everyone on the planet see what the item went for. Before you know it, there's a flooded market and a bunch of sellers get boned. I too watch these trends & make out my shopping list accordingly. You can also see this now in the Ludy Acrolite & Slingy GK Sound Kings...you can pick up either one of these for well under $100 with careful shopping! It's definitely a buyers market right now. Yes Sir

"Play the drum...don't let it play you" - Max Roach

1968, 1974 & 1984 Rogers Dyna•Sonic COB
1971, 1976 Slingerland GK Sound King
1973 Slingerland Festival
1920's-40's Slingerland (US Military) Field Snares (6)
19?- Ludwig Field Snare (US Marines)
1960's Premier Gold Glitter Student Snare kit
1960's-? MIJ Snares (way-way too many)
Posted on 12 years ago

From RogerSling

Just wanted to go on record ... Vintage cymbal prices will begin dropping relatively soon.

As someone heavily vested in cymbals, I always wonder exactly what my collection will be worth when it is sold-off someday. I agree that vintage prices have been quite high, and that simply can't last. For example, old K's have been fetching stupid money, and that's an area where demand will decline as younger drummers seem less-interested in those sounds - and those prices. If anyone is trying to sell their K's, do it soon.

But as far as vintage value in general, as long as new cymbal prices remain fairly high, used cymbals will be attractive as a lower-priced alternative, and 'vintage' pies from the '60s & later compete well with modern sounds. Those cymbals (such as the ubiquitous 18" Zildjian crash) will always maintain their value as long as drummers play acoustic kits. But the prices won't get crazy like old K's, 602s, etc., nor should they. It's the 'normal' cymbals that will keep their value in the years ahead.

Drums are a different matter, as today's drummers do seem to be attracted to the classic drum sounds, and genuine vintage kits are still less expensive than their newly-made counterparts. Nobody's gonna make a killing on the old kits, but they'll still keep their value. It would be an interesting and sad day when someone is sitting on a '60s Ludwig kit with original Zildjians, and nobody wants to buy it.

Bermuda

Posted on 12 years ago

i agree with you 100% . the money i was able to get for paiste 2002 blk's not even close these day's , that goes for a lot of vintage cymbals . now some of my customer's are switching from used A's to K's due to the market . now it's by far a buyer's market with crazy deals unheard of before . me i think it's time to buy the good stuff and sit on it and wait for the next tide to roll in .

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 12 years ago

It blows my mind just how wonderful vintage drums are and how little money they fetch. I agree with you, Jon. Several years ago, we were seeing the beginning of the drum shift. Several of us were discussing it and exchanging views. I'm torn as to exactly how I feel on that. On the one hand, I hate to see people lose money on what used to be medium to high dollar kits, but that part of me that loves to pick up quality for a good price is fairly happy. The vintage cymbals I was speaking to are the Zildjian Ks. I originally had that written but changed it to keep this a bit more general ... as I also believe it applies to classic Paiste. The interesting point here is we will see an increase in Sabian handhammered value as these others decline. It will be an interesting thing to watch over the next two years.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Is anything going escalate in value? Really- things are just stagnating. I know a guy who couldn't get much more than what he paid for a 1960 Les Paul burst, and this one had some history behind it!!!! The people with the money for that stuff won't pay what it's "worth".

As I have said before and will say again and again- collect what you LIKE and don't worry about climbing values. I know- people probably think I am a hare-a-tic (used that on purpose, btw) for saying this. It's akin to people buying up Beanie Babies thinking that they are going to escalate in value. I hate Beanie Babies and wouldn't even pay the retail price...

I collect stuff, but dammit- I love what I collect. I am not worried about it augmenting my retirement. If the stuff appreciates, great; if not, I had my fun. For example: I have a Rolex with a non-genuine bracelet, and I don't care, as long as I have my Rolex. And I got it cheap 'cos it didn't have a genuine bracelet. When this bracelet wears away, I will replace it with ANOTHER non-genuine bracelet. When I die, it will probably be sold in a car boot sale for 10p!!!!

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 12 years ago

From drums2xs

i agree with you 100% . the money i was able to get for paiste 2002 blk's not even close these day's , that goes for a lot of vintage cymbals . now some of my customer's are switching from used A's to K's due to the market . now it's by far a buyer's market with crazy deals unheard of before . me i think it's time to buy the good stuff and sit on it and wait for the next tide to roll in .

So,you are saying 1970's 2002's are way down in price?

Can you quote some numbers?

Thanks

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago

From blairndrums

So,you are saying 1970's 2002's are way down in price?Can you quote some numbers?Thanks

He said, "prices will begin dropping relatively soon".

Not that they've necessarily that they've dropped already.

Posted on 12 years ago

From RogerSling

The vintage cymbals I was speaking to are the Zildjian Ks. I originally had that written but changed it to keep this a bit more general ... as I also believe it applies to classic Paiste. The interesting point here is we will see an increase in Sabian handhammered value as these others decline. It will be an interesting thing to watch over the next two years.

I'm glad to see your qualification of your original statement. I'd say the used cymbal market is not a single monolithic market which moves in unison. My statement is evidence based, and I have the numbers. I've been recording all eBay sales of 602s and Sound Creations since December 2005. I've just begun a new round of analysis based on Dec 2005 to end of October 2011. I don't record Istanbul Ks (that's Bills territory) and I haven't really been recording early Sabian HHs completely enough to see what's what there (although I agree with you that they haven't been "discovered" for as long as Istanbul Ks thus they are likely to have some upside on price).

Analysis of the first 3 years Paiste data

http://www.cymbalholic.com/forums/showthread.php?30271-New-Paiste-602-SC-value-rule-of-thumb

demonstrated that there are significant differences between the price patterns for different models and sizes of 602s and Sound Creations. Some go up, some go down, some stay the same over the same time period. The only cymbal among all the models of 602s and Sound Creations which might be a "good investment" is the 22" 602 (transitional) Dark Ride. That is no doubt rarity: demand still exceeds supply. The 22" Sound Creation Dark Rides might appear to be a "good investment" but not when you take inflation into account. Istanbul Ks remain the only "investment" I've seen which have done better than inflation (based on new prices in the 50s and 60s versus what they fetch today).

However, I'm just starting the analysis phase for the full 6 years of data and it will take some time before all the results are out. The market is extremely complex, and is driven by a number of factors. The statistical modelling is also very complex. And even 6 years of data isn't enough to predict what will happen in 10 years time (which might be your investment horizon). But I've been lucky in that I've been monitoring over two (or some might say 1 double dip) recessions, and also during the reintroduction of some models and sizes of the 602 series. I've seen just a few used sales of reissue 602s, so I'm waiting for more evidence to see how if any the reissue might impact the used market. I've seen different opinions, but not enough data to test them with so far.

Now "all eBay sales" isn't the same as the complete used cymbal market, but it is the best proxy if you are a retired statistician and have no research grant to undertake a better research design. I began recording this data partly out of interest in cymbals, and partly to build up a sufficiently rich and freely available data set so I could experiment with different modelling techniques and share all the data with others. Over the years I've worked for big multinational corporations and governments, but all that data is proprietary and not allowed in the public domain. This data is free and open source. The spreadsheet of raw data is available to anybody who wants it. Just ask.

Here is a pdf of where I'm up to on the very first leg of the reanalysis

http://black.net.nz/cym2011/pcalc2.pdf

which has only come as far as rides as of last night. You can see all the rows I have left to fill in (the blocks of zero below the rides are to make sure I don't mess up when I copy and paste chunks). This is only a preliminary pass, and is part of the data cleaning process (there is always dirty data). I also usually prefer to use medians since they are less susceptible to outliers. But if you are a rocket scientist, you knew that already. Yes Sir

Another goal of this initial analysis is to get a feel for how much things might have changed during 2010 and 2011. It would actually be great to decide that things aren't changing much over time, because then you can pool all the data (as in the first columns of figures) and get decent sample sizes for rare models and sizes. Longer term analysis will look at trends to see if GFC mark 1 and mark 2 show up in prices. But you have to understand all the other factors which affect the market and control for those before you look for a GFC effect. That's the trouble with observational vs experimental science. You have to crank up the serious statistical work. After you've done all that and controlled for every other factor (whew) you could start to look at the separate effect of "market maturation". Am I right that the effect which you are proposing is some "market maturation" model RogerSling? You may have a better term for it than I've thought of off the top of my head.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Spizz (and individual cymbalsmiths) are another market which needs to be separated out from the big 3, and the gaggle of Turkey based suppliers, and those Chinese. Again I don't religiously collect data on these (life is too short) but Spizz has caught my attention because I seem to see used ones selling for more than new ones even though they are still being produced by the Don Roberto. That's unusual, but it is confounded with massive exchange rate changes (among other things).

Posted on 12 years ago

Actually, I never liked Biometrics. As far as what I've stated, it's just observational. I have not been wrong yet predicting market shifts, and I doubt I'm wrong about this one. By the time you gather enough numbers/samples to crunch, it will already be upon us and you would just verify the obvious. The level of stats you are proposing is really not going to be effective here. You could give solid numbers to what is very apparent, but that's about it.

I've seen your work in the past. It's impressive and quite useful under the right circumstances. Amazing job you've done. Quite intense.

My degree is in Biology and I know just enough statistics to be very dangerous and very wrong. So, I observe. I find it's much more reliable for me.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here