Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Cymbal Stamp w/Lion, Sword, Sun & Crown

WANTED!! INFO ON A GOOD OL' KLANGER! ((O))

I just got an old hand-turned, heavy weight vintage cymbal with the stamp as follows:

The profile of a lion holding a sword with one paw, the sun setting behind it's back. Above this is a crown. Below the lion is a mostly worn away Arabic-looking pattern.

The hole has a grommet. Overall appearance would put it within '50s-> mid-'60s'.

~~~~~~~~~* Any info will be greatly appreciated! *~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi- This is my first posting here. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

On Cymbals: I've been exploring the "other" vintage cymbal brands for a couple of years now: Basically, I buy them, check them out and then re-sell them. It's sort of a somewhat clumsy, tedious library system. I just can't help myself, I want to know what they sound like. It's be nice if there was a 'Club'. Drummer since 1970.

4 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

From gretwig

WANTED!! INFO ON A GOOD OL' KLANGER! ((O))I just got an old hand-turned, heavy weight vintage cymbal with the stamp as follows: The profile of a lion holding a sword with one paw, the sun setting behind it's back. Above this is a crown. Below the lion is a mostly worn away Arabic-looking pattern. The hole has a grommet. Overall appearance would put it within '50s-> mid-'60s'.~~~~~~~~~* Any info will be greatly appreciated! *~~~~~~~~~~~~~Hi- This is my first posting here. I'll post a picture when I get a chance. On Cymbals: I've been exploring the "other" vintage cymbal brands for a couple of years now: Basically, I buy them, check them out and then re-sell them. It's sort of a somewhat clumsy, tedious library system. I just can't help myself, I want to know what they sound like. It's be nice if there was a 'Club'. Drummer since 1970.

The brand name is Zeltian. These were made in Italy by the UFIP conglomerate. The somewhat dirisive term that's also used for these is: "ersatz K's".

Posted on 11 years ago

[SIZE="4"]I still haven't found any pictures on the web that show this particular stamp. Very faintly, beneath the Lion are some small circles with points on top that almost suggest another Crown. I thought perhaps a LaPage, but that doesn't fit either. Anyone with other photos of this stamp, please share the knowledge? I've emailed the photos to Rob Scott and eagerly await his insights.Help2[/SIZE]

Posted on 11 years ago

UFIP, like drumaholic says. It's about half way up on the very left edge of the UFIP stamp collection picture. I can't post a picture of it 'cuz it's too big. Anybody else have a picture of it?.........marko

Posted on 11 years ago

I did get confirmation that it's a Zeltian by UFIP. I've also seen other spellings that seem related: Zveltian, Zveltiam, etc.. It's a nice stamp! The cymbal itself is 12" and weighs 800g, very dense, seems irregularly turned and has the old grommet. It has a really deep sound for a 12", sounding like a larger cymbal.

Thanks for the tips, Cymbalogists!

Posted on 11 years ago

From marko52

UFIP, like drumaholic says. It's about half way up on the very left edge of the UFIP stamp collection picture. I can't post a picture of it 'cuz it's too big. Anybody else have a picture of it?.........marko

Marko, I just posted this in another thread minutes ago. I've left the acknowledgement from there in here. I presume this is the one you mean?

This is this page of nearly all the brands which UFiP sold under (CB700 and possibly others which aren't there). Thanks to Ronn Dunnett who took it while on a tour of UFiP.

[img]http://black.net.nz/cym2012/ufipStencilBrands.jpg[/img]

There is a red circle around the one you want Gretwig. There are also red circles around some of the other ones. Nobody has even said who put the red circles on...they are just there.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here