Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Cymbal research

Hi guys, recently I looked at a drum set that had some Zildjian cymbals. The ride was around 20" the crash was 16". The ride had "Zildjian" in black on the top of the cymbal.I think the crash had it on the bottom. No ZBT markings at all. I ended up passing on the deal because the drums were "Rocker 2" Ludwigs. I wonder if I passed up a good oppertunity to get some nice cymbals. I need to edcuacte myself on how to identify good cymbals, what are some good resources for one to learn more about them? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

From jccabinets

Hi guys, recently I looked at a drum set that had some Zildjian cymbals. The ride was around 20" the crash was 16". The ride had "Zildjian" in black on the top of the cymbal.I think the crash had it on the bottom. No ZBT markings at all. I ended up passing on the deal because the drums were "Rocker 2" Ludwigs. I wonder if I passed up a good oppertunity to get some nice cymbals. I need to edcuacte myself on how to identify good cymbals, what are some good resources for one to learn more about them? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!JC

If they had stenciled paint trademarks on them, you didn't miss squat.

Posted on 12 years ago

From Drumaholic

If they had stenciled paint trademarks on them, you didn't miss squat.

Oh good! Thank you!

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

I politely beg to differ.

Drumaholic, you're saying anything with a stenciled on "Zildjian" is no good?

So that rules out Armand's, A Custom's, Modern K's, etc...

Posted on 12 years ago

hi jc

i always like to hear them and then judge them sometime theres a diamond in the ruff as with my hi hats at the drum show a lot of people commented on there sound as from 3 different sets one with a old trans stamp heavy bottom and they were matched by me so sound, is the best way to judge a cymbal good luck gary

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

From Shawn M

I politely beg to differ.Drumaholic, you're saying anything with a stenciled on "Zildjian" is no good?So that rules out Armand's, A Custom's, Modern K's, etc...

...and set up for comparison right next to the best of their classic vintage eras?

Uhh.....yeah.

Posted on 12 years ago

From jaghog

hi jc i always like to hear them and then judge them sometime theres a diamond in the ruff as with my hi hats at the drum show a lot of people commented on there sound as from 3 different sets one with a old trans stamp heavy bottom and they were matched by me so sound, is the best way to judge a cymbal good luck gary

Agreed, sound is everything. Basically I need to edcucate myself more on the different stamps and how to identifythe old A zildjians. Just need to spen more time reading articals on the internet.

Thanks Gary, sure loved playing your monster kit!

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

Perhaps there are two different conversations going on here. One in regards to value in sound quality; and another in terms of financial value. Perhaps this explains the appearance that Drumaholic is dismissing modern cymbals of perceived quality.

Just an observation of a possibility. Drum and cymbal gear can be approached from several angles, notably the potential to add to one's arsenal/collection, and another as the potential as a flip.

Then there is always that one factor that is ever elusive to nail down and in fact never should be......preference.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

Perhaps there are two different conversations going on here. One in regards to value in sound quality; and another in terms of financial value. Perhaps this explains the appearance that Drumaholic is dismissing modern cymbals of perceived quality. Just an observation of a possibility. Drum and cymbal gear can be approached from several angles, notably the potential to add to one's arsenal/collection, and another as the potential as a flip.Then there is always that one factor that is ever elusive to nail down and in fact never should be......preference. John

Wrong.

I was talking about the relative value only as far as sound is concerned.

Posted on 12 years ago

Well the two Zyldjians that were included with the Rocker kit had the ink stamps on them. They did not sound that great to me so thats why I passed on the deal. They sounded like Sabian b8 quality. I already have some mid quality cymbals to include with the drum sets that I re-finish.

The topic on this thread is research. I was hoping to hear of some good sites to visit so I can teach myself how to look at the stamps and physical characteristics of a cymbal to determine its age and value.

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here