Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Cymbal found in garbage .. help identify?

Last week I found a cymbal lying in a garbage pile in my back lane and I'd appreciate some help identifying it! I came across its stamp in the attached picture so I know it's a UFIP. It is the stamp along the left-hand side, 4 from the bottom that looks like "Ajman" (right above Kingston). It looks old but that could be because it had been used as a fire pit!! I'm in the process of restoring it. I'd appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

If it's been heated, it likely will never sound very good as the inner atomic structure has been altered drastically. Cymbals don't take well to being heated up, especially repeatedly, to those kinds of temperatures. But then again, it could have also helped the sound. Some of the Ufip stencils were really junky cymbals.

Please post a good, clean pic of the stamp when you get it all cleaned up. We like to have all this stuff for others to see.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Return it to the pit from whence it came.

Posted on 14 years ago

@jonnistix

Thanks for the reply.

For a cymbal that has been "through the fire" it is in remarkably good condition. It sits level on a flat surface and there are no dents or signs of metal fatigue. The cymbal is very thin and is 20 inches in diameter so it has a low deep wash sound when struck at various levels of intensity.

FYI, I have been playing for over 35 years and I do this for a living.

My cymbals are zildjian A customs and K's, so I love the shimmery sound they produce. This cymbal has a similar sound to a very large A custom.

I am attaching a picture of the stamp and would love to identify it.

Cheers.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

If its withstood the ordeal of fire and it still sounds and looks good, then its O.K.

That trademark looks like some stylized version of "Ajaha". That's the first of those that I've ever seen.

I'd like to see a picture of the whole cymbal.

Posted on 14 years ago

@Drumaholic - Here's a couple of pictures - top and bottom. Bear in mind that when I picked up the cymbal it was as black as night but amazingly it still sounds great! Still working on cleaning it up.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Smokin' man !!................Cool Dude

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Interesting. I can't make out any hammering. Can you see any?

Does it look like its made from B-20?

Posted on 14 years ago

@drumaholic - It's definitely B-20 and yes there is definitely hammering - will try to get a better picture when I'm finished cleaning! The sound is getting much better as it gets cleaner ...

Posted on 14 years ago

Some of those old Ajaha's can be surprising great sounding cymbals. It just takes some searching to find the right one. But it appears that the right one just may have found you.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here