Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Cymbal Age?

I read and reread the cymbal tutorial offered by Zenstat, and I still don’t quite get it. There’s so much info, but I can’t seem to get a definitive answer.

Among a recent acquisition, I bought two cymbals that intrigue me:

The first is an 18” with a tiny, shallow stamp (first photo). There are no dots in the squiggly Ottoman ‘U.’

The second photo is of a 17” with four holes drilled in it for rivets (no rivets are present).

Both cymbals have slight keyholing, and both have a small chip missing on the edge (I think someone referred to these as “flea bites”)?

I don’t have access to a scale to weigh them.

Can anyone narrow down the era in which these were manufactured?

Thanks.

Josh

Posted on 6 years ago

That's a Trans Stamp on the left. Appears to be a 60's cymbal on the right. EDIT: incorrect on my part on the second one.

Also, I think the Trans Stamp is a Type 3, circa '50-'52.

Mike

Posted on 6 years ago

I agree with Mike, the trademark on the left is a Hartrick Type 3 Trans Stamp.

The one on the right looks like a Hartrick Type 2 Large Stamp to me (mid 50s, a couple of years after that Trans Stamp). It passes the Biggles test, the lack of any bold fits the LS2 style, and the height is right (around 1 7/8", definitely more than 1.5").

ref: http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#largedots

This Type 2 Large Stamp would get my nomination for one of the most overlooked trademarks. The number of times I hear people say "3 dots so it must be 60s" or "no dots so it must be 50s" would be amusing if it weren't just plain incorrect information.

I am planning some new easy to use tools for classifying trademarks, but they won't be appearing any time soon. I'm head down working on pricing research probably until the end of the year.

Posted on 6 years ago

After I checked the ruler beside the second one, I also thought Large Stamp due to the height of the stamp. Just didn't look Large Stamp to me though. Would have to be with that height though. Good call.

Can we see pics of the complete cymbals?

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks, Fellas. Even reading your descriptions gives me DAIN BRAMAGE. I just have a hard time following all that, but I'm glad it makes sense to you.

The 18" is on the left, and the sizzle is on the right. Do you want me to redo the photos to include the entire edge and center hole of each one?

Josh

2 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here