Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Crash recommendation??

Setting up an old Rogers set which hasn't been played in 35 years. Just playing for fun at home. Have 2 old Zildjians -- 20 inch ride and 19 inch sizzle ride. Just polished them, they look super! Anyway, want to add a crash. Believe it or not, never have owned one! Guess I want to keep with Zildjian, so, what would be a nice crash (type and size) to compliment my other cymbals. Never really liked the sizzle, but keeping it for sentimental reasons....

Posted on 16 years ago
Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

^ that one will not go cheap!

Very rare.

Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah... I would love to have a full set of those 602's... I was reading that those paper thins are like gold... and nearly impossible to find.

Hey it helps to read.. I even learned the correct pronunciation of Paiste!!

PIE STEE.. 'It rhymes with feisty'!", the word meaning is "sunrise" in Estonia.. thanks Wikipedia!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

You should visit a local shop that lets you hear the cymbals. Sounds crazy but bring your ride with you so you can hear how the crash will sound with your ride. Go off hours, like during a weekday when no one is there...

Stand back and let someone else play your ride and hit various crashes so you can hear how others will hear the two together.

This is a bit involved but if you are going to put out a couple hundred bucks and want to sound good it is the only way to go.

The difference between a dark and a bright crash is remarkable.. I just bought a Zildjian Custom A Crash for my vintage set, see the gallery. It is very bright and cuts through the big, darkish ride, what I wanted. A darker crash, like the Ks will blend in more with a big ride... it all depends on what sound you want.

Go listen, worth the effort.

DenS LoLoLoLo

PS, that sizzle should sound real nice for lite work, especially with brushes. They also project a different sound then you hear on the throne. Have someone else play it while you stand back and listen... good advice for the whole kit!

Posted on 16 years ago

That 15" Paiste 602 on e-bay was a 70's era blue ink stamp 602. the 60s ingraved stamp 602 cymbals sound a little better. And can you believe when they first came out they were guaranted not to crack?? I think I returned 3 to Sam Ash in Ny (this was back in the 60's) until they told me to f*** off!! The closest sounding cym.to the old 602's made today is the UFIP "class " series. I took my old 18" crash into a drumstore in Md. (now closed) that had over 400 cymbals of different brands, and did a side by side comparison. The UFIP was REAL close....

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Though haven't heard them in person, I'm leaning towards something like a 15 or 16 Armand Zildjian crash. Zildjian bills this line as their "60's sounding" cymbals. I'll see. Hey, I may need to find (mine may be lost) the top part to a certain Rogers cymbal stand (the part the cymbal sits on). You know of any Rogers-parts sources? There are several I know of out there, but though, what the heck, you may know something else. Thanks. Chuck

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here