Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Crack in 80's Zildjian

Is it possible to fix a 16" Medium Ride cymbal by welding it back together.

The crack is located about an inch into the cymbal and has just begun to pop through.

I dont have money for new cymbalsToilet

So any advice on how to fix them is welcomed

Posted on 15 years ago

You can drill a hole at both extremes of the crack. That usually stops the spread. I don't suggest drilling any cymbal, but it is an option that seems to work.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Too bad, that's not a great place for a crack...

McJ's advice....that's the most cost-effective alternative...drill both ends with a metal drill bit (look at the ends under a magnifying glass first to find exactly where the crack ends), the take some sandpaper/emory paper and slip it in the slit and sand both osdes of it so it doesn't vibrate against itself when you hit the cymbal...

You cannot hit a bronze cymbal with a welder....it'll just completely mess up the cymbal because it'd be heating just one localized area of the cymbal, so it'd create all these weird internal stresses in the metal and it would not be long before something else strange would turn up.

As an alternative, you could also hit the underside of the crack with a lead solder or a cold-weld such as JB Weld applied thickly with a small brush (like a watercolor size brush)...but these fixes are temporary and wouldn't hold up more than 6 months with heavy playing.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

ok do you know what kind of a drill bit to use (i.e. size, type)

the crack is only the width of a pin and it is about 2" long

if all else fails i have JB weld (i used it to try to fix my 1980's double pedal when the tension bracket on the bottom snapped in half)Excited

Posted on 15 years ago

Last night i decided to use a drill press to stop the crack from spreading and it worked very well

although i sacrificed the smooth sound that i had originally it now has an intresting ring at the end of a hit that makes it sound awesome

Posted on 15 years ago

I am so glad that worked out for you. Repairing cymbals can be a hit or miss prospect. Sometimes it goes for you and sometimes it goes against you. I'm glad it sounded pleasing this time.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here