Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Copper Slingerland Snare ?????

Hello;

I'm a new member and have been looking for a forum like this for quite some time. I hope I can contribute a little and learn a lot.

I'd like to start off with a question. I have just acquired a 5"x14" Slingerland Copper snare. This poor drum has seen a huge amount of stupid bad use. Why anybody would treat a musical instrument like this, I will never understand. Enough ranting. The Slingerland badge seems to indicate that it was built in the early 70's at the Niles facility. The black & Aluminum badge has raised letters but does not have the loop in the "S" of Slingerland. According to your badge profile and chart, it should have a serial number somewhere in the 400,000 or 500,000 range. I get the impression, however, that those numbers are for wood shelled snares. Does this Copper snare fall into the "Special drum" category on the list?

The serial number is 21778 or possibly 2177B ??? It has 10 lugs finished in Chrome. The original snare strainer is missing . (probably beat to death by a previous owner.) Where the strainer should have been there is a hole about 5/8" in diameter with a 1/8" hole on either side, plus an 1/8" hole approx. 3" below. The same hole pattern is on the butt side of the drum. I get the impression that there may have been a rod through the drum for a dual drop system.????? The poor thing had a Ludwig strainer bolted on & a simple (cheap) horizontal butt plate on the opposite side. Unfortunately, even the original Slingerland hoops had been replace by some Die-cast hoops. OR- Did this drum come with them?? The die-cast hoops look a lot like the Ludwig style with the drop at the snare gate.

Does any one have any info on this poor old relic??? It is so tarnished that I don't even know how or where to begin to clean it up. I would like to restore it be as close to original as possible. I seriously doubt that it will ever clean up to look like the original. Which brings up another question. Is it better to try to bring it back to "Factory New" condition or let it have lots of "Character" ???

Believe me, any & all information will be most welcome. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Upstroke

Posted on 16 years ago

I would first get us a photo to look at...

Serial numbers are estimates and not to give an exact date. Many times they just do not make sense either.

Here is a page on the main web site showing snare drums throughout the history of Slingerland... You should be able to find your drum on the page..

Slingerland Snare Drums

Let us know which it is.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Thank you for the reply. I went through the information on badges yesterday. That's where I found the info on the Niles badge without the "loop" in the "S". I just went through all of the catalog pages. I passed over all of the snares with tube lugs from the earlier years. Focusing on the early 70's because of the lug style, I find the "super Snare" model with the dual drop system looks very close to what this drum is. However, all I can find listed in the catalog pages are chrome over brass shells. I don' find any Copper shells.

I will be gone for a couple of days, but when I return I will get some pics on line for you. Thank you again for the reply.

UPSTROKE

Posted on 16 years ago

Hello again;

My apologies for the long delay- we were gone longer than I expected.

As requested, I will attempt to upload some pics of this snare. It is now only half as ugly as it originally was. I took some Brasso & cleaned it up as much as possible. There are so many minor dings and bruises on the drum that I don't believe it would ever get back to original. If I have screwed up, please don't yell at me. Just help me move forward with this project from here. As you will see The snare is currently bare Copper. I did not remove all of the old Lacquer under the lugs. That old finish is harder than nails.

I have uploaded 5 pics. I still have never found this drum on any Slingerland site. ???

Thanks for all help

Upstroke

Posted on 16 years ago

I just read the Webmasters info on pic sizing. I'm going to re-submit a couple of the pics so they are easier to read. The "Niles" badge looks about 1971-2 to me. In the 2nd pic you can see the 3 point attachment for the dual drop hardware. Is any of that hardware still available? This snare had a Ludwig snare strainer bolted on with 2 new holes.

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here