Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Cheep but old cymbals, kinda cool.

I got these cymbals the other day for next to nothing. They are very thin and cheep sounding but I think they are old ones. Can anyone tell me a little about them please.

Thank you,

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

nothing wrong with those at all. ive got one of each. the made in italy could several different things i guess. mine is a ufip 13 that i use as a top hi hat over a 13 zildjian trans stamp. sound amazing together.

the super is a different alloy than the more sought after cymbals i think. dont hold me to that. mine is an 18 . very thin and very trashy.

i'm certain that someone will be able to give you much better info than i just have...

what sizes are those?

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

OK well thank you! I have heard worse.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

I have had a few like this- I had a couple under the name "Stanople"- very thin, quite trashy- Some people pay lots of money for trashy cymbals with designer labels- These are trashy cymbals without the labels - I say enjoy em' for what they can giveYes Sir

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 12 years ago

I'm pretty sure Supers were made by Paiste. They came out in two versions; yellow brass and white brass(nickel silver). Almost identical cymbals were also stamped Dynastar. I have an 18" crash ride and a 12" splash that I use occasionally as a bass mounted pair due to their light weight and compactness. They are better than they look.

That little round, Made in Italy stamp was used on older UFIPS but usually in association with the triangular UFIP stamp. It is possible ,that if it is near to the edge and there is no other distiguishing stamp , that the cymbal may have been ink stamped Ajaha under the bell and the ink has worn off. I have 2 sets of Hi-Hats and a bunch of other cymbals ,with that identifying stamp and no other . Perhaps they were marketed to music distributors as generic cymbals in the 50's and 60's. Italy ,was still a pretty depressed economy ,then and the cymbals were probably super value for the money. I bought a Ufip 14" in about 1967, to mate with an A. Zildjian bottom. I think ,it was about 13.00 and a Zildjian was somewhere around double( which I couldn't afford) but it was stamped and marketed as a Ufip.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you. Interesting history behind cymbals. I dont see any signs of ink that might have worn off. Thanks for the input!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here