Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Can you identify this cymbal?

Hello from Alaska,

I have this old cymbal, and I have no idea what it is. On the edge of the cymbal, it is stamped, "Made in Germany". I've attached a picture of the other stamp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Erik

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

A complete unknown.

Posted on 12 years ago

How's it sound?

Is it b8 bronze, or nickelbronze (is it reddish, or silverish in color?)

Interesting piece, anyway!

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 12 years ago

Luna, made in Germany. ...Don't know what factory it came out of.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the i.d.!

The 'L' is worn off on the Luna stamp, so I couldn't read it.

Here's a link to pictures of the intact stamp that I found:

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?136837-Luna-Cymbals

My cymbal looks more reddish in hue to me, but the pictures of the same cymbal at the above link look more silver. One guy over there thinks it's nickel bronze.

Most importantly, it sounds great. It's got a great, mid-range glasses-shattering sound with a short sustain. It works great for multiple stacatto crashes - almost like a giant splash. Grab one if you see it for sale.

If anyone knows anything more about this company, I'd be way interested. There doesn't seem to be much on the internet.

Thanks again,

Erik

Posted on 12 years ago

Oops, I meant to write nickel silver.

Posted on 12 years ago

There were 4 major drum manufacturers and at least 4 major drum rebrands or stencil brands in West Germany in the 50's. This left a lot of room for Paiste and Meinl to sell product into. I have seen Luna before and they look almost identical to some of the Roxy, Korri and early second line Trixon cymbals( Trixon also sold A.Zildjian with a Trixon stamp). Saying that, they were very similar to 50's Meinl Meteor cymbals ,which was the second line cymbal sold by Tromsa( Paiste Stambul were the other). For these reasons, I would take a stab at Meinl being the maker of these.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here