Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Can you help identify my snare

Hi all.

Great to finally find a site with such a mass of information on vintage drums and restoration tips.

I do need some help however from you guys in identifying my snare. Its a 14" x 4.5" wooden snare. Not sure if its maple or birch. There are 6 lugs on the snare, all present, and are the flowing "Premier" type shape with screws with grooves on. The hoops are a "stick chopper" type held with claws onto the screws into the lugs. The colour is a green sparkle wrap. The internal apperance of the shell is a plain wooden.

There are no maker badges or stamps anywhere and I don't even know how old it would be. There was also no snare mechanism when I brought it either.

Please help in my quest to restore this to its former glory would be grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mull

****SEE NEW PICS BELOW****

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Please repost the picture with the light on the camera side this time. Picture of the throwoff and butt would help. Interior have any type of finish, or bare wood?

Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah, the photo is bad. I will take some more pics this evening and repost.

Posted on 16 years ago

Here, finally, are my pics of snare.

As I mentioned before - stick chopper hoops, premier-esque lugs and screws, and no throw off snare mechanism. Although I have taken a pic of the remains separately. I've also taken a pic of where the badge must have been with the 2 pins inbedded in the shell and the air hole.

Many thanks

Mull

REMINDER OF PREVIOUS POST -

Hi all.

Great to finally find a site with such a mass of information on vintage drums and restoration tips.

I do need some help however from you guys in identifying my snare. Its a 14" x 4.5" wooden snare. Not sure if its maple or birch. There are 6 lugs on the snare, all present, and are the flowing "Premier" type shape with screws with grooves on. The hoops are a "stick chopper" type held with claws onto the screws into the lugs. The colour is a green sparkle wrap. The internal apperance of the shell is a plain wooden.

There are no maker badges or stamps anywhere and I don't even know how old it would be. There was also no snare mechanism when I brought it either.

Please help in my quest to restore this to its former glory would be grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mull

****SEE NEW PICS BELOW****

Posted on 16 years ago

I have a feeling this is a John Grey Broadway snare. I found a JGB snare on ebay not so long ago and it had all the characteristics of my snare. The 6 lug formation (as I read on this site, to cut costs) and the large pin separation where the badge must have been leads me to believe it could have been a broadway badge. The pins look to far apart to have been a Premier snare.

Ive attached pics of the snare from ebay for you guys to look at.

Any comments? Does this look like a Broadway? Does anyone have anymore info on Broadway snares??

Regards, Mull

3 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

I have to agree with you on your investigative work...

I have been visiting the post and many times it takes time to get to the bottom of the identification.

Also, your coming back and clearing it up will help other people in the same situation...

Now I can think if I have any catalog examples or printed material with this snare

David

Posted on 16 years ago

You see my friend! I did have a catalog that shows your drum.. Click the page to the catalog.... Also look at the color options for that drum!

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/my_collection/literature/john_grey/john_grey2_th.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 16 years ago

Thats brilliant, thanks very much for your help.

Now to find a snare throw etc!!

Mull

Posted on 16 years ago

Just found a few pics of a red sparkle snare like mine on /www.vintagedrumyard.co.uk, very helpful. Gives me an idea of what parts to look for.

Mull

4 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here